An equivalent to "smooth shift," "spin quads," and "bandsaw" in Blender?

I used to be fairly proficient at modelling in Lightwave and grew quite fond of the bandsaw, spin quad, and smoothshift tools. Are there equivalents for blender?

I mostly need smoothshift. Thanks!

Hmm… I have never used LW. Could you post a Before and After picture to see what does tools do? Then we could find the equivalent.

Of course, they may be others blenderheads who are also Lightwavers, they may have an inmediate answer.

I don’t know if blender has smoothshift, but extrude + scale works just fine

The closest equivalent to bandsaw is loop cut, Ctrl R
Spin quad would be something like… select the edge you want to spin (it would be the edge shared by the 2 quads in LW) and Ctrl E

Bandsaw is something akin to the knife tool (at least, the knife tool in LW.) You select some polys; and after activating the tool, the entire loop is selected and optionally cut. You can control where and how many cuts are made, and in which direction the loop is selected.

Spin Quads is a way of adusting the flow of polys. You select two or more adjacent polys, run the tool and it will change the flow. You can run it repeatedly to spin through all possible variations. Probably one of the most essential LW modeling tools, at least for me.

Smooth Shift is like a bevel, but it operates on the selected polys as a group. Extremely useful in organic modeling.

oh and sirap is right on the equivalent of smooth shift… basically the same thing. E (extrude) and S (scale)

Sounds like Spin Quads is the same as Mesh >> Edges >> Rotate Edge
or like Mesh >> Face >> Flip Triangle Edges

Much obliged!

Extrude + Scale = Shrink/Fatten ( Mesh >> Transform >> Shirnk ))

tried the shrink/fatten and it does not appear to extrude.

Here are a couple other equivalents that I can think might be handy:

LW Tab = toggle subpatch mode
Blender = add subsurf modifier and adjust levels = screen and render levels = render resolution to suit. Clicking Apply would be like “freeze” or Shift D (metaform) in LW.

The closest to LW symmetry I have found is a virtual mirror. select your object and in edit mode, delete one half on the x axis, add modifier > mirror. Now everything you do on one side will affect the other. You can “apply” the modifier when done to freeze your virtual mirror.

Still pretty new to blender, there may be better ways to do these but, this is what I’ve found so far.

Yep, he means in combination with extrude. You can switch between any of Blender’s transformations while you’re transforming by pressing its hotkey. For example, you can press S to scale, then before you confirm, press R and it will switch to rotation mode. Since the extrude tool works by automatically putting it in a move transformation afterwards, you can press E, then immediately Alt S to extrude with a scale along normals, rather than with a move. This is also really useful for doing things like extruding then scaling inwards or outwards with a plain scale, for example indenting in a square poly.

In edit mode, there are also the hotkeys Ctrl 1, Ctrl 2, Ctrl 3, Ctrl 4 to quickly set the subsurf at that resolution.

The closest to LW symmetry I have found is a virtual mirror. select your object and in edit mode, delete one half on the x axis, add modifier > mirror. Now everything you do on one side will affect the other. You can “apply” the modifier when done to freeze your virtual mirror.

You can also toggle the little ‘cage’ button (the circular one on it’s own) on that modifier to use that position in the modifier stack as the editable cage - i.e. edit both sides of the mirrored object. And don’t forget ‘Do Clipping’ - it nicely sticks the center row of vertices to the mirror plane, so you don’t mess it up :slight_smile:

Heh, didn’t know about those. Cheers!

What made me feel good about moving from lightwave was the Shift-O key – it’s basically like Tab in lightwave, and as long as you’re not in Blender’s edit mode you can switch in and out of subsurf mode.

Setting the subsurf view to “optimal” in the modifier settings also makes it look more like lightwave to me. Then again I haven’t used it regularly since 5.5, so I could be off.

On the mirror modifier, it should be noted that if you put it under the subsurf modifier it’ll create some really strange geometry; make sure it’s above the subsurf modifier. Also, make sure the verts on the mirrored axis are all at 0, because if they’re not then the modifier does strange things too. I don’t know offhand if there’s an easy way to move multiple verts to 0; thus far I’ve been doing it by hand by using the numerical entry box thing (N Key).

Well you could set the cursor to 0, then set the transform pivot to around cursor, then scale to 0 on the appropriate axis. Pretty quick with the hotkeys. Or you could scale the verts to 0 on an axis so they’re aligned, then just move them. If you have Do Clipping on, it’s nice and easy because they just snap in place.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.