alksndr's sketchbook

Hi guys, it is a goal of mine to share more work in more places this year so I am starting with becoming a much more active member of this community :slight_smile:

Expect more to come - drawing, painting, sketching, sculpting, modeling. Can’t wait!

Lots of good stuff, Excited to see more!! Welcome to the sketchbook area!

Awesome pieces Alksndr! Keep it up!

Thanks so much guys! Back with some more comps, some quick ones from films and some from imagination.

Awesome! At some pieces you could go even more abstract and use 3 values. What I like sometimes to do, is synthesizing shapes. Then adding some value and more elaborated shapes followed by a quick piece with more values.

Something like this:

This is shaping up to be a great thread.

Thank you guys! Here’s some work from the past week. I appreciate the help Artur, the simple abstract 3 value stuff I did has been really helpful at training my brain to recognize better images not just images that look nice because they have sexy details and goodness on top.

Messing around with Rift!

Here I’m taking a screenshot from a film and doing a 1-2 hr sketch using same composition and value ideas but with my subject of choice

3dCoat/Houdini/Octane blockout for this one

30 min color study

OH man! Cool stuff!

Really like your film studies and those sketches on paper.

Thanks man! New stuff here finally. VR is tooo fun

some studies… try to stick around 30 min each with these

Awesome work all round, especially love this piece though; If you added some more reflections on the vehicles on the right to call out their silhouettes and gave that interior some detailing it would definitely help push it!

This is a fun thread to watch! :slight_smile: I like your brushwork

Whew 3 weeks flew by!! Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate that Conar, I agree for sure. Thanks Miguel :slight_smile:

Some new stuff, have a couple more things cooking so I will get back to a weekly posting. VR->Houdini->Octane->PS

Lots of art juice in this thread alksndr! Your gravity sketch pieces look pretty cool too! I just picked up an oculus rift and I’m looking forward to seeing how VR could be implemented into my pipeline. Keep it up man.

Thanks Michael! Let me know if you have any questions about working in VR I will happily answer as best I can, I am full steam ahead in it and there is no turning back for me lol. It has become a staple, I think it will for you as well. Its so intuitive.

Speaking of VR, this weeks update is all straight out of VR only. I had big plans to have this all rendered and painted over, and I worked fairly hard, but I didn’t come close. But I did learn basics of substance designer and got megascans and figured out how to implement it all into my workflow. The next step for me is to get highly realistic renders from the scans and substances, I see my future working process being: 10% incredibly quick sketches to think, 80% 3d to make, and 10% painting on top to make it look like art.

VR Houdini Octane PS as usual

fixed some of my atmosphere problems with the previous and did another. Next one I’m going to work on my problems with colors.

good stuff ! I like how youre experimenting with compositions. Also really cool with the implementation with 3D.

Thanks Hannah!

Have some more paintings to show soon, but for now, something quick on the technical side. Trying to create a master shader for octane, currently have 6 layers but unfortunately only one of them will have displacement. This is okay for my purposes for now, I will have to revisit with a new plan of attack for multiple bumps and displacements for all the layers. All procedural no UVs (besides the ground)

By the way this is modeled with Gravity Sketch, I make red colored paint strokes on a separate layer for future boolean operations in mind then process the geo in Houdini and subtract these panel lines and cutouts. Nothing crazy but I really think its a good way to hold us over until we get all these proper controls in VR programs.