ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Jarod Hayes Ruffo

Jarod Hayes Ruffo has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

This is my concept image, I was going for vast distance. It started out with colored pencil. Then I added ink. The blood was done by biting the ball point off and blowing the ink onto the paper and smearing it around with the tube.

This is my concept image, I was going for vast distance. It started out with colored pencil. Then I added ink. The blood was done by biting the ball point off and blowing the ink onto the paper and smearing it around with the tube.

This is my enviroment I am working on. It actually came from the concept image in the way of an experiment. I was modeling the channel in the concept image with splines and was using lights on the paths like traces on a circuit board. I was using lens effects on the light. I ended up using on frame of the lens flare as a screen mapped displacement map then the hills materialized.

One of the things I wanted was thermal imaging type clouds on the projected grid sky. I spent more time animating and playing with the timing, which wasn’t necessary for this contest, but I like moving images. The oil water is a flat mirror material with animated noise.

This is after I added stem with video post. This is also animated.

Here is a work in progress on the lava foreground. This was made from 4 high poly planes with an animated displacement map on a few of them. Then again a spent more time playing with the animation which isn’t the goal in this contest.

Here is another work in progress image of the lava foreground I wanted to add to the image. This was made from 2 high poly planes with a blend material usning the opacity and masks. Then again a spent more time playing with the animation which isn’t the goal in this contest.

Here is a version with the lava foreground and some animated lightening. The fire and smoke was done with Discreet Combustion. The animation for this looks really cool. I ended up deciding it was too much and think it may be a bit over done.

Here is my final image. I will be rendering a high resolution one and uploading it soon.

You know i like your over done scene better than your final. Just take out the lightning and reduce the steam a bit and make it a little more alien and it’d be great!

Here is an example showing the complicated lighting envolved in creating my alien land scape.

Here is the final image. I ran in to some trouble when rendering the 300 DPI image with the grid. The grid thickness was set to 1 pixel, so when I thought all I had to do was render it large the whole image changed. I fixed it by changing the grid to 8 or so when I rendered my final image.

I realy didn’t see something similare like this in this competition. I realy like it in a strange way, it is so metaphysical.
Best luck:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wavey:

thanks for the positive feedback. This is something I wanted to keep simple and you could look at from 10 feet away and still enjoy it.

:applause:

This is the most unique Alienlandscape I’ve seen yet, diggin the grid!

nvr

Nice to hear! I was working on rednering it in3d Stereo, the grid doesn’t work all that well with the anaglyph rendering though…

thanks again,

-jarod

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.