ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: David Lavoie

David Lavoie has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

hi guys… humm i’m a little bit late, but it’s not too late!! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is my first post in this forum… if you want to learn more about me, i’m simply an Architecture Student, worked for 2 years with Max…

I really enjoy enter in this contest… First of all, I know all people think of Exotism when they think at an alien World… It’s good, but I tried to find something else…

Here is my concept:
-Some of you know where it’s Cappadocia (in Turkey) ? It’s the start of my inspiration…
you can see some pics there:
http://www.jetpack.com/photos/sept2000/turkey/capp.html#

it’s simply rock… people lives there.
So, I imagine a complete world of Rock… But the difference is world crash: No more gravity! So a lot of piece of land just rise up and the planet now looks like a tons of Islands…

People now on the planet try to live on the Islands. they work on the work to make Shelters in it…

So this is my concept… I begin to work on it a little, sorry… I’ll post some sketch made with computer and by hands…

A tons of Islands… a new world appears…

A small sketch on the Islands…

I didn’t post the description of the concept at the right place, so please wait before critics… it supposed to take less than 12 hours…

First attempt of the modeling of the island… The light and the texture are not that…

first test for texturing, I change the default light to add shadows, but the light is just to imagine the result…

I begin to be satisfied with this one… I’ll start to work on the top of the island soon…

Looks awsome, I think you need to add some cracks to the base though.

This is what I think about the “Shelters” on the top… A bit like Cappadicia.

Another view…

I think you’ve got a good start here. I don’t know if this is your textured version, but I’d like to see some variation in color if it is. Something that makes me gasp and go wow. . .

I like the hairs or roots you’ve added to the bottom of the floating islands, but the model seems somehow unbalanced. I’m getting the impression from the texture and some of the views that it’s supposed to be very smooth, yet in your concept and along the edges I see vertices that have been pulled out to create sharp edges. It ends up looking a bit confused. If you could work on those edges to give them structure, or to rough up your texture to lend itself to sharp edges. . .

I think you also need to show a wireframe of your model for the contest. . .I’d like to see that too.

Keep it up… you’ve got a good start.

That’s real-cool looking, when are we gonna see it in it’s entirety? :slight_smile: Keep it up!

ahh thats some good stuff David,. i like the glossy feel to the sides. gives a nice effect!

Hi, I tried to work more on the Island. I have now 4 differents island concept… I show you them o help me to chose the better… all others suggestions welcome…

http://membres.lycos.fr/vrmldav/proposition.jpg

You can go there to have a better resolution

Thanks

I’d have to say I like 3 the best, but they are all pretty close. I tend to think that the rounded ones are a little more appropriate simply because your city / buildings are quite protuding and clustered therefore it would be overkill to make the land protrude wildly aswell. It gives a nicer contrast too.

Hi, Today, I decided to continue with this model. I change a little the texture too, reajust some things and that’s it…

to be continued…

Sorry, it’s the same render, but with more light…

This is a fast render to show that I start to work on the final scene… Right now, there are no shelters on the islands, no roots, no particle system, …

Oups, I forgot: I didn’t add water and meshsmooth on the Landscape… I’ll do all these things later…

cheers

It’s really shaping up nicely. :slight_smile: Good luck! :applause: