Affect clones as a whole, not as individual clones

Hello, I’m new to C4D. I’m trying to make a dent in the middle of clones as a whole with the shader effector which has a circular gradient as a shader. That doesn’t seem to do what I’m trying to do.

Here is what it does:

It shifts individual clones on Y axis.

Here is the project file:
cloner.c4d (281.8 KB)

I apparently don’t know how to do this, which effector to use.

Try the Collision modifier.

Thanks. That seems to work fine after putting the cloner inside a Null object and the Collision modifier above it inside the same Null object.

But I feel there could be a better way.

A Plain Effector with the desired field falloff shape is all you need.

I don’t have fields.

Hello, I’m new to C4D. I’m trying to make a dent in the middle of clones as a whole with the shader effector which has a circular gradient as a shader. That doesn’t seem to do what I’m trying to do.

What about this set upfalloff test.c4d (284.0 KB)

It seems that the shader tab should have more contrast in the circular gradient.

Shader.c4d (160.8 KB)

Render

This is what I’m trying to do with the Cloner exemplified on just a plane with a displacer:

JustAPlane

JustAPlane2

Glad you solved it … but why show planks in your OP ?
Or, is this what you want ?

Dent

Yes, I managed to do it with the collider deformer as @demis suggested in the first reply. But still felt there could be a better way. How did you do it?

I used what I posted plus MG’d a thin cube to the number you see and booled them
out of the deformed plane. Can’t remember now if I placed it all under a connect object
or not … none the less, it’s done as you wanted.

I don’t understand any of that. And how is it any better to use bools than just a collider…

If what you did with the collider works for you, then, other options like mine are moot.
I just use a different workflow as demis uses his own.
" MG’d" means using a Mograpgh cloner.

Can you post your results for comparison ? TIA