I’m starting to think more about clothing for my character and I could really use some advice from more experienced users.
Here are some of the questions I have. Answers to any of these would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
- What’s a good rule of thumb for when to model the clothing into the character and when to simulate cloth dynamics?
- In the case of cloth dynamics, are any of you using Marvelous Designer? It’s pretty expensive for me at the moment. Can Cinema 4D’s Dress-O-Matic & Cloth Dynamics get similar results?
- In the case of modeling the clothing into the character, how do you typically handle the body geometry? i.e. if the body is covered by clothing do you keep the underlying geometry and weight both the body & clothing or delete the covered geometry?
- In the case of modeling the clothing into the character, How would you mimic the bunching of the fabric in the elbows and knees? Pose Morphs? Displacement maps?
- How do you typically handle ornamental geometry like buttons, patches, badges? So far I have tried Skin Deformers (copying the weights tags with VAMP), the Surface Deformer, and Constraints. I would like to hear others’ approaches to this.