about painting frame by frame

hi guys,

i am trying to do some touch up frame by frame with “clone” in the rotopaint node,
i want to keep cloning from the previous frame with only one rotopaint node, but i find that i cannot clone from the cloned plate, instead, i can only clone from the original plate.

actually is it possible to use only 1 rotopaint node to retouch the entire sequence?
or i need to create a new rotopaint node for every frame?

just find it is interesting if nuke cannot do it with a single node, because i know other softwares like combustion can make it.

Yes you can do this with one rotopaint node. If i understand your question correctly, you have to activate the build-up option in the toolbar to be able to paint/clone onto the result itself.

thanks for your reply!

i found that i have already switch “build up” on, but its still not working
not sure if we are on the track, so i would like to state my question more clearly:)

lets say i have sequence with a rig needed to be erased
in the 1st frame, i erase it with clone, just clone from the area near the rig in the same frame
then in 2nd frame, i want to clone from 1st frame to erase the rig, as i have already clean up the 1st frame, i just clone from the cleaned up area in 1st frame.
so in 3rd frame , clone from 2nd frame… and so on…

in this case, is it really possible to use 1 rotopaint node? if yes , can you tell me more? thanks a lot!!:slight_smile:

Ah, now i see what you mean. Two ways to do this:
In the clone tab of your rotopaint node, set the time offset type to absolute and enter the frame for your source frame into the time offset box.
Or,
use a framehold node set to your source frame, connect the bg1 input (not bg input) of your rotopaint node to it. Set the source of the clone paint tool to bg1

I prefer the second way because it seems more stable and its easier to see whats going on.

none of this will work,

you can only offset the clone time when you not using FG as clone source, but this is needed

and the second method wont work either, because BG1 doesnt contain the strokes you made

i think its not possible to do in one Paint node

depending of the complexity of your shot, i would suggest to paint one clean frame, which covers everything the rig is occluding.
and then use that as source to reveal the stuff behind the rig. this also prevents you from flickering of the paint strokes

I guess pingking is right.
You basically need one clean frame, which you can then use as a source for all other frames. So that would be two Rotopaints, one to create a cleanplate (or just save that out and read back in) and a second one that uses the cleanplate as a source.

thanks both of you!

pingKing’s method is inspiring! but what if my shot is with a big perspective change so i can’t use a still image?
to be more extreme, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DB7nIDi9M

thank you!

Basically you’d want to break up the image into smaller problem areas. Paint a clean version of each area just for one frame and then it might be possible to track these patches onto the plate instead of painting through the whole sequence.

the guy that posted that video has a link to his blog with a very good explonation of how he did it. even before i read it i had the same thoughts, try some patches an track them on (e.g. the roof) other stuff painting frame by frame. making some clean “reference” frames and use them as source for the whole painting action.

nice to read that sillouette can clone from itself, so for heavy paint work it sounds like the better tool then nuke

thank you very much guys! you gave me lots of idea about the paint work in nuke, at least now i know nuke cannot clone from the result with offset which was my biggest question.
wish one day it is possible in nuke so that we don’t need to switch between different softwares :slight_smile:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.