Able to draw, born talent or hard work

Hey guys, at age 23 i found all of this CG thing. Been lurking, searching reading stuff about all of stuff. I was interest in everything.
especially in FX, sculpting stuff.

Was okey, until, i read for better character artist need to know drawing. Damn it. to be honest i never draw in my life, all of my drawing made my mother lol, when i was in elementary and high school.

But now, it’s come to me that, i need to learn to draw. And i have no idea where to start. Got books, but, i am just reading them, and no idea how to start, there is no explanation how to start etc.

Even i will go for online course for drawing, but there anything like that. There is for 3D, FX, Zbrush, but not drawing.

Is drawing is a born talent? Or it’s from hard working? I know kids you are not even 15, know to draw, everything, 2 of them are my cousins both 13, and can draw, ****ing good. Whatever they are interest.
I feel like dump, useless compared to them.
Ye maybe. when they grow up, might work in Blizzard for example

I bet if you asked your cousins they would tell you they draw all the time. Hence their ability to draw well. Why do you expect to be good at something you never really do?

It takes a ton hard work.
I would strongly suggest to take some BASIC art classes at the local art league or community college.

And practice A LOT:

I firmly believe in the 10,000 hour rule:
"
The 10000 Hour Rule is just that. This is the idea that it takes approximately 10000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill.

For instance, it would take 10 years of practicing 3 hours a day to become a master in your subject. It would take approximately 5 years of full-time employment to become proficient in your field. Simply work out how many hours you have already achieved and calculate how many more you need to clock up before you reach 10000.
"

http://www.squidoo.com/10000-hour-rule

It means that if you practice 20 hours PER WEEK it will take you about 10 years to get good.

I know it sounds brutal, butthe journey is worth it.

There was a thread about this a while back.

Basically, there are some people that are talented, but most artists (good artists) spend a lot of time practicing and became good through hard work. Even the talented people need a lot of practice to become really good as well.

C’mon Bojan, you’re killing me. Didn’t we already have this conversation.

Alright, on the last thread I mentioned Riven Pheonix’s http://www.alienthink.com/ but this assumes you have at least a bit of skill with a pencil. I have no idea where your level is so…

Let’s start here. Mark Kistler’s drawing series. http://www.draw3d.com/store/stationbook.html
It’s designed for kids but it teaches very fundamental rules of art in general such as: Foreshortening, placement, size, overlapping, shading, shadow, contour, horizon, density. So while it is a kids book its no joke. This is the guy I learned from when I was a kid and I used to draw every day for at least an hour to get better.

Okay, you can’t get much more basic than that.
Like I said the last time, DO IT!

This.

People aren’t born with a magical ability to draw; like any skill, it’s something learned and perfected through practice.

I don’t know why, I guess I just really want you to get better Bojan.

Here’s Mark’s Youtube channel for crying out loud. :smiley:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkKistler

No more excuses, get to work!

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o&feature=player_embedded#!

There lies the answer to why the saying “Practice makes perfect” is true.

Thanks guys, for the advice. How drawing will help me for my Zbrush character design? Or do i need to spend 10.000hour rule to learn 3D and another 10.000 for drawing?

If you had spent half of the time practicing (anything) of the time you spent creating all those crying themes, you would be already making a progress.
So, stop “philosophy”… stop asking yourself… stop measuring… just start working.

The “10,000 hour rule” is mostly apocryphal. You get better as you go, and will hit plateaus, cliffs, and walls along the way. Search for an old thread over on ConceptArt.org where the guy set out to draw every day for 1 year and post all of his progress. It’s really mind-blowing how much better he became very quickly.

Also do a search here, as there are many (long) threads asking your exact question.

This. Whenever I see people mentioning the “10,000 hour rule” thing, I cringe. It’s a pile of unsubstantiated, purely anecdotal crap and I wish people would stop repeating it as advice. There is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever to prove it; the idea came from some book written by a guy who pulled that number out of his arse and repeated it enough times to make people believe the number was important. The fact is that different people learn things at different rates, the key is simply to keep practising and practising and practising, and some people will learn quickly, while others will take longer.

damn, I wanted to find that thread as I some how missed it but seems CA forums are down.

O.T.
I’ve never heard of “10,000 hour rule” thing (or didn’t noticed it), but I remember Mickey telling Rocky: “For a match of 40 minutes you need to training 40.000 thousands minutes”. :buttrock:
So, that’s maybe the origin of the “10,000 hour rule”.

Someone once stated to me that “practice makes permanent” in that if you only practice in a particular way you may get stuck with that. This was referring to learning a musical instrument but I think it applies in lots of situations this being one of them. :slight_smile:

I always say—Good design starts with lines.

Personally, I feel digital sculpting is an extension of my drawing skill, as is painting. I use the same drawing process ‘mechanics’ while ‘sculpting’ digitally, with a Wacom tablet. Traditional sculpting, to me, is a much more tactile process. For example, when I did clay sculpting, I used both hands comfortably (without tools), which is not the case when drawing, painting (beside doing some paint smudging with a right hand finger) or ZBing. I hit the ground running with ZB, after wrapping my head around the gui, as a result of my drawing foundation. I also don’t practice ZB sculpting in between occasional sculpts, but I do practice drawing. I’m sure I’ve got many more than 10000 hours of stylus noodling in.

I could draw ok as a kid. But I could only draw what I was looking at. I’m still that way. I took a college Art Drawing class because I wanted to learn more about drawing (this was pre-Internet). The teacher took all my drawing tools away from me and gave me some wooden pencil to use. He wanted me to draw by hand only and measure using just my thumb. It was difficult at first, challenging, rewarding. The class taught me a lot about basic stuff like gray scale and values and color mixing and drawing light. I understood the reasons why my drawings looked accurate and real. I didn’t know the terminology used by graphic designers until I took the class. I didn’t know about human figure proportions either.

The students that stayed with the class to the end were those that enjoyed drawing and enjoyed learning new drawing techniques. Those that dropped out either wanted to just do abstract scribblings that looked nothing like the subjects they were supposed to draw, or they were not able to visualize in spacial terms and could not draw perspective views.

I think it’s a cultural thing whether someone can draw or not. In time, someone can force themselves to learn. But if they are not having fun doing it, well you know the rest.

ADDED:
I have drawing books, but have not used them. Because now I model on the computer mostly. My art class in college didn’t use any books either. So I have no idea really what is a good book to learn drawing from.

I’ve never sculpted in clay. But when I model a CG humun figure, I can imagine what sculpting would be like.

I feel like I’ve always had artistic talent and an understanding of art, but I am still learning and I am always working towards improvement.

I remember that thread Artbot is speaking of on concept.org. If you can find it, it will enlighten you to the truest answer. Pleeeeez somebody post it again. :slight_smile: I love showing it to my students. By the way, I’m also a big haterade of the 10,000 hour rule. I think it’s being used to inspire people but frankly it just doesn’t make sense. I could practice basketball for 10,000 hours and I’d still get my first shot swatted into the rafters by Lebron James. In other words, talent does matter, but it certainly is faaaar from everything. After teaching 10,000 students in 12 years, I can honestly say that some of them (a very small portion thankfully) with 100,000 hours in Maya (and traditional art too) would still create cornea melting work. Not trying to discourage anyone here, but the truth is the truth.

Conceptart.org has been down the last week or so, or it’d be easy to find. It’s MindCandyMan’s sketchbook.

The primary scientific basis for the ten thousand hour rule is a study done on violin students that showed that the quality of their performance correlated perfectly with the number of hours they had spent practicing. There weren’t any students who learned quickly and performed remarkably well for the number of hours they had practiced, or the reverse. Eventually, one hard working student might become a world class performer while another equally hard working student would end up as a second chair at a local symphony, but this divergence doesn’t happen until a very high level of play.

However, classical violin is an extremely precise, technical art form. There isn’t much evidence that the same thing holds true for visual arts.