A "Reference and Resources" forum

Ok this is a stab in the dark, but I think cgtalk would benefit from a forum for people posting reference images and such.

I see a lot of people sharing HDR images, models, photos, anatomy, texture reference etc. But they are usually just lost after a while. A dedicated forum could provide a useful resource?

I for one have gigs of texture reference photos I’d share!

What do you guys think?

Simo

I totally agree ~ hear hear! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

sounds like a good idea, but who’ll host it?

Well people can host their own images. I guess society members also have more attachments, When I get my new server I could donate some space for people to upload images to.

Perhaps some sort of premium CGSociety membership would allow CGS to host images? That way, images won’t randomly disappear at unpredictable times.

Nice idea Si, would it be free to all - or only CGS members though?

I think free for all would be best.

Simo,

You might want to read this:

Requests for new forums

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Yeah I realised I’d forgotten to add a poll right after I posted… :frowning:

[left]I think it’s a great idea Simon. I also have lots of reference images I could share along with the community.

btw: As far as I know you can still add a poll to this thread, by editing.

Cheers,
Leon
[/left]

Oops yeah Ones now added.

Vote away people!

Some things to consider, as posted in General Discussions:

What do you guys think about having a References / Resources Forum?

I think generosity in general is a good idea. I hate when people share brushes and other things and then say - it’s only for your personal use. Heck, and if I would suddenly do a super image using some textures and brushes I had downloaded somewhere and somebody wanted to buy that image from me ?

I want to be able to sell my image what ever downloaded things I used to do it. I also think that people who let you download textures or brushes etc. and won’t allow you to sell an image you made using those are just not as generous as that …

If people want to share something - I find that it has to be totally free for personal or professional purposes. Everything else is just plain not generous enough to me. I would myself be prepared to offer a lot of texture photos etc. for completely free for everyone. I don’t like it when people put a limit to the use of what they are offering. Some quite newbie could make a fantastic image using some free things - if he then can’t sell his stuff because of copyright limitations, I find it just isn’t worth it. Do you get what I’m trying to say ?

Originally posted by ThePhotographer: I think generosity in general is a good idea. I hate when people share brushes and other things and then say - it’s only for your personal use. Heck, and if I would suddenly do a super image using some textures and brushes I had downloaded somewhere and somebody wanted to buy that image from me ?

I want to be able to sell my image what ever downloaded things I used to do it. I also think that people who let you download textures or brushes etc. and won’t allow you to sell an image you made using those are just not as generous as that …

If people want to share something - I find that it has to be totally free for personal or professional purposes. Everything else is just plain not generous enough to me. I would myself be prepared to offer a lot of texture photos etc. for completely free for everyone. I don’t like it when people put a limit to the use of what they are offering. Some quite newbie could make a fantastic image using some free things - if he then can’t sell his stuff because of copyright limitations, I find it just isn’t worth it. Do you get what I’m trying to say?

Hey there, :slight_smile: I totally get what you’re saying. :slight_smile: I think in order for something like this to work, whomever contributes images / models / whatever kind of reference would have to agree beforehand that their contributed resources would be completely copyright free. That anyone would be able to use the images for any kind of commercial or personal purpose whatever. Otherwise, such a resource is nearly worthless.

Cheers, :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

I think that a group of sub forums will do, but it will end up a cluttered mess full of broken links very quickly unless heavily moderated. If it’s “host your own” the moderator should be responsible for archiving the file… also a “broken link” button needs to be associated with each resource so that a mod can be notified when something is down and can look for someone (CGS or members) who can mirror the file (that’s been archived in advance).

As far as licensing, I think that everything offered should be offered under no restrictions other than packaging the materials and selling them directly is prohibited.

Edit: If we’re talking a managed/hosted solution by CGS, it should be CGS members only and include free plugins/addons for the various apps.

Hey there, :slight_smile: I totally get what you’re saying. :slight_smile: I think in order for something like this to work, whomever contributes images / models / whatever kind of reference would have to agree beforehand that their contributed resources would be completely copyright free

Yes I totally agree. I just assumed that would be the way we’d work it. As even if there was copyrighting, noone would follow it. And then people would get upset, then there would be legal issues etc etc.

Thanks for agreeing with me, Rebecca !

All that said before, of course I understand when people say that their brushes, textures, reference photos etc. can’t be sold as is. That’s another thing. But people should be able to freely use the stuff for creating their images - that’s again a completely other thing.

Of course nobody should have the right to sell brushes textures etc. created by somebody else, but creating an image using those should be allowed.

Unfortunately, there could be some misunderstandings here …

Oh you can count on it. But however clear the rules are, and however heavily moderated. there will always be abusers of the system.

(hence all those witchhunt threads springing up in general discussion)

Although with donated photos, brushes etc, there isnt as much pain as when you see someone else claiming they made your 50 hour painting.

Originally posted by JDex: I think that a group of sub forums will do, but it will end up a cluttered mess full of broken links very quickly unless heavily moderated. If it’s “host your own” the moderator should be responsible for archiving the file… also a “broken link” button needs to be associated with each resource so that a mod can be notified when something is down and can look for someone (CGS or members) who can mirror the file (that’s been archived in advance).

Good points…

As far as licensing, I think that everything offered should be offered under no restrictions other than packaging the materials and selling them directly is prohibited.

Yes, I agree.

Edit: If we’re talking a managed/hosted solution by CGS, it should be CGS members only and include free plugins/addons for the various apps.

I frankly think it’s better if it’s CGS only ~ or, like CGP, have limited access for CGTalk members, and full access for CGS members.

Originally posted by ThePhotographer: All that said before, of course I understand when people say that their brushes, textures, reference photos etc. can’t be sold as is. That’s another thing. But people should be able to freely use the stuff for creating their images - that’s again a completely other thing.

Yes, I think anyone contributing / using the forum must make an agreement that they cannot SELL what they have received freely. This makes me think that this is better off as a CGS thing than an open forum environment, where you can’t regulate users as you can through a members only environment.

Of course nobody should have the right to sell brushes textures etc. created by somebody else, but creating an image using those should be allowed.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, there could be some misunderstandings here …

The only way around misunderstandings is to have both contributors and users alike agree to the terms of use of assets. I think anyone who makes something available on the internet has to have a personal ‘let it go’ policy :wink: ~ if you make something available, it is going to be used. So people who do not want their assets used by others should not make them available, ever.

Originally posted by Simo: Although with donated photos, brushes etc, there isnt as much pain when you see someone else claiming they made your 50 hour painting.

Especially if they’ve agreed beforehand to the terms of donation of assets. :wink:

The only way around misunderstandings is to have both contributors and users alike agree to the terms of use of assets. I think anyone who makes something available on the internet has to have a personal ‘let it go’ policy :wink: ~ if you make something available, it is going to be used. So people who do not want their assets used by others should not make them available, ever

Exactly my opinion - if you don’t want people to sell images created using your ressources - then just don’t share ! Unfortunately, I have sometimes spent time downloading things just to find out in the read me files that I was allowed to use the ressources only for my personal unprofessional use. So that would definately be a must in a ressource archive here : anything can be used in images - professional or not, but no ressources can be resold in their plain state. I hope I express myself clearly … English is not my mothertongue !