a rally track in a city

Hi there, im designing a rally track with in a city kind of like the Monaco GP, only the city im basing my track in San Fransisco…I basically made a plane … and divided the plane up into sections for building blocks, houses, parks etc… and omitted parts of the plane where the road would be … as i will make this on a seperate plane…

my question basically is …

on this plane should extrude upwards and model the buildings or should i create the buildings in a seperate max file and then import them in ??

I used that greeble modifier… but i think it only useful for blocks of houses and such … if u wanted a tall building that takes up a whole block … i didnt greeble that part …

and also…how would u go about leaving spaces for sidewalks and such??

and also apart from xenomorphic …does anyone knw of any tutorials or resources that may help …i have collected a vast amount of resources already … but the net is a big mama and maybe i havent seen some stuff…

any help would be much appreciated…

many thanks

try this one: http://www.schloerb.com/tutorial/greeblecity_1.htmOlli

ohh no not that schloerby tut.

that tut imprese the sheen of making a city with a click. you really have to do a conceptdraw and after that you have to model maschine specific all your little tiny buildings. a city can blow up all maschines i ve ever seen. with greeble it is incredible to make a city.

greetings out of berlin

a tip ive got. try using satelite images, i think thats a good start point.

Fettmops, i agree, but you can use it for background buildings.
actually petes tut at xenomorphic is excellent.
Olli

petes tut i never saw, but it sounds interesting. could you post the link?

www.xenomorphic.co.uk

ive seen that greeble city tut …
im using that to make some of my smaller houses and that…
but i wanted to knw if ure building a sky scraper …
can u model that as a seperate max file and just import it in seperately…
and just place it where u want…
is that possible for game development…
or does everything have to be welded together …?

not perhaps, its really needed to made your city out of pieces. you’ve got the ability to set placeholders for it up, where just a raw version(or primitives) of your final parts are showing. thats nice thumbed in to the max help.

thanks for the link

check out XRefs in the manual…
Olli

@olli das wollte mir einfach nicht einfallen :wink:

i have basically done the street map of my buildings, ive attatched a link to show u … what im trying to create …

on the second image ive circled in red… this part… where it is the sidewalk and i wanna knw if that looks ok … or should the vertices be cleaned up … to make a straight polygon for the path … and if so how would i got about doin this… ??

any help would be much appreciated…

thanks …

www.grafixdesign.net/city

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.