A good time to be a Lightwave user

Just like to say it feels good to be a Lightwave user at the moment. It was only a couple of years ago that at the grass roots level Lightwave was relatively unknown in this country (UK). At times it felt like us UK wavers were the eccentrics of the 3D scene, but things have turned around dramatically in the last year. A couple people that deserve a shout out are :

Ben Smith from 3D World magazine for letting non-LW people know how good Lightwave is through his tutorials and Lightwave related product reviews. There’s now hardly a 3D artist in the country who doesn’t know how versatile Lightwave is.

What the heck, here’s a shout out to all the people at 3D World mag.

Proton for making being a Lightwave user fun again. It really feels like being part of a community rather than just a user. Also thanks for teaching us a new form of Zen patience, i.e. the weekly teasers.

There have been numerous individual users that have been a big help in spreading understanding of Lightwave. I was going to mention a few, but on reflection I wouldn’t like to leave anyone off the list and my posts are generally too long anyway.
So if your a plug-in developer, tutorial writer, somebody who is good at answering questions, or just someone who asks good questions, you have my thanks.

I’d also like to thank the people from the company that can’t be mentioned (without starting a conspiracy war), as they have also given me increased optimism for the future of Lightwave.

Let the good times roll.

DYN-O-MITE!!! :buttrock:

…(did somone mention Good Times?)…

Yeah, people are pretty helpful around here, aren’t they? I, also, will not name names, so let me just say: Hats off to the concept of helpfulness. :beer:

Agreed!! :airguitar

:beer:

Cheers to the Wavers!!!
Love that Lightwave!!! :scream:

There’s so much love here… I love being a waver

You gotta be kidding. Lightwave’s probably doing ok in the states but most people I work with have very little exposure to LW (in the UK that is).
If you’re working for one of the larger companies (such as myself) you’ll come across people who even if they’ve heard of Lightwave are then surprised “they” are still MAKING it. It gets worse the more you go up the hierarchical chain. They remember it was the program they used for Babylon 5 and how it was good for space stuff and lens flares.

I could go on but I won’t before this becomes a rant. I’ve been knocking around for a few years and I’ve only once managed to find an employer that was kind enough to let me use LW (they normally used 3ds max).
Because of this scarcity I’ve ended up learning almost all the other top 3D apps to some some degree. I’m currently using Maya right now, but always wishing I could go back to LW.

I also find it incredibly sad that I am stuck spending more and more time in Maya then in Lightwave. And the more time I spend in Maya the more I want to go back to Lightwave. For years Lightwave dominated the scene and now its Light -what. I think we should all gang up put together one kick @!! piece of work and get people looking at the full power of Lightwave like they pretend to believe is in Maya. For you Maya fans, YES I have fallen in love with the power of MEL scripting, but the Wave still rules:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

You know, up until just over a year ago, I’d never really seen any work done in Lightwave.
In fact, I’d only heard it’s name here and there, but was absolutely clueless about the app. At the time, I was using max, which I really enjoyed back then.
It was only when I started working at the company where I am now that I had to start using Lightwave, and it was love at first sight!
Interestingly enough, the 2 biggest visual effects companies in this country both use Lightwave extensively.

I must say, Lightwave for me is just so fantastic - I can’t really complain except for minor nitpicking little complaints here and there. All in all, it’s such a dynamite product, even straight out of the box. And it’s so refreshing to work with software that does not limit you - I truly believe that anything your mind can conceive of, can be done, somehow, in Lightwave.

3 cheers to Newtek, as well, of course, as all those people who are helping to spread the word! :beer:

Mattoo, exactly what 3d industry do you work in? Just wondering because this thread is the first time I’ve ever heard that Lightwave was so unknown in the UK. Ever since I got into 3d I was always aware of “The Big Four” apps. It’s sad that these people you work with only know Lightwave from Babylon 5… I mean that was 10 years ago! I don’t even remember that show! Either they don’t follow the industry very closely or the millions that A/W spends on marketing is brainwashing the masses!!! :surprised

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww Babylon 5 puke

Is that what’s going on with A/W, major marketing BW? I swear when ever I come up to do something in Maya that I have done previously in LW it takes me 2-4 times longer and end up with a headache instead of a smile and pat on the back.

Have you guys noticed the Maya logo in the credits of movies even though every program under the sun was used to make the movie. A/W has a great marketing team (…and deep pockets)

I’ve got dreams to fullfill, & I’m using LW in my journey to do it. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Felytendect
Mattoo, exactly what 3d industry do you work in? Just wondering because this thread is the first time I’ve ever heard that Lightwave was so unknown in the UK. Ever since I got into 3d I was always aware of “The Big Four” apps. It’s sad that these people you work with only know Lightwave from Babylon 5… I mean that was 10 years ago! I don’t even remember that show! Either they don’t follow the industry very closely or the millions that A/W spends on marketing is brainwashing the masses!!! :surprised

I work in games but have many friends in the Post Production industry.
The reason I believe is a combination of both the reasons you state. They are quite set in their ways (we only just stopped using Softimage|3D) and so comfortable and sure of themselves they don’t need to keep up with the latest doo-dads.
Early on LW was known as the low-budget choice for CG in this country and that is still the perception in the majority of people I speak to.
A|W “actively” promote their software here. Much more than simply advertising in the magazines. The fact is, no professional artist I know buys a magazine other than the occasional Cinefex journal.
You’ll find more open minded people in smaller companies, but then those companies don’t buy the huge site licenses.

hello,

Same thing for me…in France very few people are using lightwave…At this time i spend 80% of my time on Maya…Sad but true. but i have to say that Maya is a great soft and i am waiting for a lot of great things from Newtek.

Mattoo wrote
Early on LW was known as the low-budget choice for CG in this country and that is still the perception in the majority of people I speak to.

Low budget cg? Uh…Lightwave was used in Titanic ( among other big name Hollywood flics ). I don’t think you can call the biggest movie of all time “Low budget”.

It’s just a fact that Newtek has admitted to not having the best marketing skills in the past, but they are working to correct that and I think you will begin to start hearing Lightwave’s name alot more.

Originally posted by JohnD

Low budget cg? Uh…Lightwave was used in Titanic ( among other big name Hollywood flics ). I don’t think you can call the biggest movie of all time “Low budget”.

You don’t have to tell me that. I have an active interest in Lightwave and am aware of most of the great achievements it’s users have made.
I’m saying the “perception” that prevails is that LW is low-budget, perception is rarely the truth.
Infact it’s funny you mention Titanic, I had a conversation with the guy who sits next to me at work not so long ago, where he was quite sceptical when I pointed this fact out to him. He was quite insistent that Softimage was used exclusively because he saw it on the Softimage demo real around that time at a trade show. I think Newtek had a few shots from Babylon 5 and the Hummer demo running on a little TV set and the guy demoing was showing how to make a squishy car with only a few mouse clicks - ie. what I ate for breakfast that morning was more impressive.

I was hoping this wasn’t going to turn into a rant -sigh- sorry. :annoyed:

No no, Not turning into a rant. I just wanted to point out that with the new marketing strategies, hopefully the “low-budget” aura of Lightwave will be dismissed finally. Cheers :beer:

Have you guys seen the list of movies, TV and commercial projects that were created using LW? Its not just ‘Titanic’ that used LW but MANY of the greatest movies used LW. And many of the movies that Maya claims credit to, when you start digging into the creation of those movies you find that both Maya and LW :eek: were used, yet Maya gets the acclaim and only Wavers know the truth. OK so now I’m the one ranting. I think its just from my frustration trying to use Maya when I want to go home to LW where I can get twice as much done in half the time. Granted 4 years of LW compared to 2 months of Maya swings my experience and comfort level, but like the old saying why fix something that is not broke.

Mattoo, I don’t know if you’ve read the newtek forums lately but there was a long long long thread about how bad the LW Siggraph 2002 booth was and that the obnoxious selling tactics that Newtek is known for lately is not helping. Newtek is also known for listening to their customers so hopefully next year’s conferences will be much better.

From what I understand, Lightwave has great saturation in the big name studios (like Pixar, ILM, etc.),but most of the companies out there don’t know that.

It’s all about getting the word out.

hmm, I’m not sure where I was going with this post, I’m sure you already knew all this Mattoo.