So I was at work yesterday and went to install a sound card (pci) in my machine to listen to music while I work, and a floppy drive, and when I rebooted I got no video and 8 quick beeps-then a pause-then 8 quick beeps and so on. The system comes on, fans power up, then it just hangs there beeping that error. The motherboard manual contains the most basic of info and nothing more, so no explanations of the beep codes). Heres what Ive tried so far to try and sort it out since this kind of error usually has to do with memory,video, or power, since its during POST (i think thats right from my past experience).
- Removed power and cables from all hard drives, as well as disconnecting the ide cables from the motherboard. -NO CHANGE-
- Removed the floppy drive, that I had just installed, from the system -NO CHANGE-
- Removed the sound card -NO CHANGE-
- Swapped out the power supply with 3 others -NO CHANGE-
- Swapped the AGP vid card with a diff AGP vid card. -NO CHANGE-
- Pulled the AGP card and tried 3 diff pci cards in 3 diff pci slots -NO CHANGE-
- Tried diff ddr mem from a diff machine (pretty sure the mem should work in this sys as it came off an ECS k7s5a board and went into the buggy system with an ECS k7s5a pro board) Tried the mem in both the ddr slots and reseated it many times -NO CHANGE-
- Used the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS -NO CHANGE-
I have literally swapped every piece of hardware except the motherboard and I still get the same error: fans come on, then the 8 quick beep error, system hangs
I didnt really touch anything but the ide cables when i installed the floppy and pci sound card. WTF did I do?
the sys is a pretty cheap throw together that I use at work.
ECS k7s5a pro motherboard (networking onboard as well as sound if it worked)
512 meg ddr pc2100(i think)
generic 300W psu
the usual other system peripherals, hd, etc
I cant really get back to work until my machine is fixed and we are a very small company so its all up to me. Help! Thanks in advance.