3D Fluff: How to set up R19

I had quite a few people telling me they used one of my old videos where I showed some of the best settings to change in C4D, so I figured I would do an update for R19. In this one I cover what preferences you can change to prevent c4d from locking up your machine whilst rendering, project settings which make working on smaller scenes easier (yay, no more 2 metre wide cubes!) and how to clean some of the fluff out of the tool bars.

//youtu.be/hddaaPFNx_w

Cool, thanks Mash. Learned a few things there, so well worth a watch!

Many thanks again! Bacon will be your reward.

Cheers,
odo

To be honest Mash looks like he hasn’t touched bacon in a long while!

Thanks from me too - very helpful. Interesting about the project scale setting - I’ll certainly be looking into that. But I’m not throwing out the workplane stuff - that’s one of my really important tools! : ) How could you!

Very nice informative video, thanks.

Dan

The workplanes absolutely have their uses, the danger is that they’re a very quick way to accidentally knacker up your scene with the reference floor suddenly tilting off to the side like the titanic. I’ve lost count of how many other peoples’ scenes I have opened now only to see this drunken floor sliding off to the side.

Thank you Mash. So much to learn and its the nuance of the smaller things that are really important to discover.
Question. I made a template, closed Cinema then reopened. The fresh scene is set up as I have created - yes imperial units… BUT when I open a new scene it reverts to the default.
I often start a project then wonder off to build smaller pieces under separate files. So is that supposed to happen or is there something I am overlooking - which would be my guess1 Thanks again.
Great stuff!

There are two special files c4d will check for; new.c4d and template.c4d. template.c4d is only ever load the first time you open c4d. Creating a new file doesn’t trigger it. Frankly the template.c4d file is virtually useless to the end user. New.c4d on the other hand will open up when launching c4d and when making a new file. What’s what I was getting at with my “new.c4d is the superior choice” comment. Now here’s the thing, older versions of C4D, from around R17 and under, the “save as template” script creates the rubbish template.c4d version. From around R18 upwards the command makes the better new.c4d version, despite the command still being called “Save as template”.

Soooo. Open your preferences, click the button on the bottom left, and rename template.c4d to new.c4d

hahaha… man how do you keep all this stuff/fluff straight? Very cool. I have been playing with Cinema since XL6 and I think the longer I use it the less I know!
More of a self taught 3d person so seeing how the little stuff comes into play is so huge. Thanks again - great insight! Cheers D

You and me both :wink:

A lot of good ideas here! :slight_smile:

Quantize can be very useful not just for rotation, but also when moving objects, extruding polygons, but you might need to change quantize values quite often - to do it quickly you can create a toolbar with quantize settings : Go to Window/Customization/Customise Palettes, then press New Palette, and in Name Filter type"quantize", then drag Quantize Move Slider, Quantize Rotate Slider and Quantize Scale Slider to the empty palette. Right Click on this palette and select change orientation. Close Customize Commands window and drag this new palette to attach it somewhere on the interface.

For Modelling Settings I have created a keyboard shortcut, since I am using all the time the Mesh Checking part when I am modelling.
Mainly to select then delete Edge Points and isolated points and check for Non Manifold polygons often created by Bevel tool (you can remove them with optimize command)