193x Mg-p Series, Nikos (3D)

Originally posted by santiago
I’m not sure about one thing though. The seats are bouncing off light from a side, while the rest of the car is bouncing light coming from above. Is this lighting originally inspired by a reference photo? Also, the light on those seats is quite perfectly uniform in color and intensity, I mean, it looks kinda flat.
I just mention that, because it immediately called my attention, and maybe I’m not seeing things correctly, what do you think?

Yes, I also think that the lightning is a bit strange at some places. If you just look at the front you get the Impression the whole thing was photographed in a 60ies style studio light (Like in those Disney real-world movies). It’s not that kind of light you would expect outside. I think it is too uniform.

But man, it looks soooooooo amazing :eek:

Wow, this can’t be real, really, it looks so real. very very nice.

:love:

I was thinking “that looks like quite good compositing”, heh. Madness.

Good job! I love it, although of course being a girl i would prefer it in shock pink. grin

wow, beautiful work!

very nice composition.:thumbsup:

Too paint realistically simply ! !:drool:

Hi guys,
Thanks for your comments. Yes, you are definitely right about the “incorrect” lighting in the image!

The scene was lit with one of those free HDRI probes (+ one key light) that are lying around the net. Inititally the image on the probe was a vast landscape with the occasional tree in the distance.

As work progressed I ended up adding more and more trees into the background, as I felt it needed it, and by that time my scene had become quite different to the one on the probe. And those of you with a sharp eye noticed the flaws immediately. You can even see that the reflection on the chrome surface is reflecting a bare landscape and not a forrest… :wink:

Anyway, I looked into some other probes that contained forrests, but never managed to get the render looking as nice as with the one I already had. So I decided to keep it as it was hoping that noone would notice. :wink:

Consider it “Photosurrealism”.

This is incredible!

I mistaked it for an photo first :smiley:

Holy GOD! You modelled the background too!? Awesome! I looked at this earlier and thought, wow, thats great, the car looks almost perfect and its a beautiful comp job. But the background isn’t a comp! That is utterly fantastically done. The car itself could use a little more blemishing perhaps and it would be perfect, what’s keeping it from being perfect is its perfection, actually! =) Amazing work.

wtf… this looks too damn real, and that background … all the leafs are modeled…

i’m more astonished every day at what ppl are doin on their own.

daaayymmnnn…

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

no … words!
Fantastic!

The road is just a bunch of textures that I merged together in Photoshop.

i think he means the road and trees r comp work, not 3d!!
i stand corrected!!???

while im here , :applause: i’d like to say OMG , well done!:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drool:

wow!! :bounce: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
one of the best cars i’ve seen! what modeling method did you use ? any good tutorial explaining this method ? thanx !!

That is the maddest quality.

I too was thinking it was a cool car on a composited background. Damn. Very nice.

I ponder one thing: Why is everything triangulated? The wireframe doesn’t have a single quad, and I… I don’t know why one would want to end up with tri’s?

fantastic.

i’d love to see a muddy version of it

:thumbsup:

In reply to hog:
No, everything you see in the image was modelled…
The ground was a highly subdived mesh that I displaced with a big texture map that I made in Photoshop. The source footage for the texture was taken from Jeremy Engleman’s free texture library. The trees are also pure geometry.

In reply to sebek27:
Thanks! The car was modelled with the good old subdivision method. I didn’t use any spline patching teqhniques because I find them too slow. I basically just modelled everything poly-by-poly, and used KO_PlainBeltOptimiser and EdgeTools to speed up the work.

In reply to gaggle:
Well, that is just the way LightWave subdivides the object. The initial object is quite low poly, but then I subdivided everything before it was rendered.

In reply to hog:
No, everything you see in the image was modelled…
The ground was a highly subdived mesh that I displaced with a big texture map that I made in Photoshop. The source footage for the texture was taken from Jeremy Engleman’s free texture library. The trees are also pure geometry

k, …:applause: :applause: , RESPECT!!!

O MI GOD
let me just have a sec here to come at eaz with miself again… Holy Father above!! that looks too damn good man! waaaaaaa, I really love it!! It’s the best carmodel I’ve have seen around so far, and I especially like the model itself, good choice!

I guess the time has come to hand over the :applause: !

I uploaded a shaded, unsubdivided screengrab:

The bandwidth per hour on the server is limited so it might not load after a couple of times. As usual copy & paste the url into a new window.

Absolutely amazingly awesome!!

Even the rock in the foreground is fantastic! Was that done with procedurals? It’s even got the moss on it…
:drool:

This is by far the best CG Car I’ve ever seen!!!

Congratulations!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: