10 Top Tips To Become a Better Artist

This post was real helpful. I’m starting to draw again for the first time in a while and I was pretty stagnant back then. I’m starting to develop my artistic sense and I’m trying to get better at drawing and am trying to learn how to design graphics on the computer but need to find some more help there. I’m really brand new right now and this really answered some questions. Thank you.

Thank you for the inspiration in this thread-well written words do some more good than a pat on the back depending on the mentality.

I’ve held a pencil in my hand since I could walk, have had two generations of artists before me give me inspiration, aide, love and guidance. I have had instructors during school (Barring one that told me I had no talent and should go into shop rather than art classes) inspire me beyond anything I thought was possible. One helped me get published into a small, state-wide magazine, and a museum display with other young artists. The other paid for instruction in another museum in another state out of her own pocket because of her belief in my drive, ability, and talent as well as push me to enter into numerous contests that taught me more about the way I put together my work more than anything else had prior.

Though I gave up any sort of artistry for over a decade, I’ve only begun to step back into the wide world of visions, colors, beauty and brutality that is the artist’s world.

It is places, and people that are found in those places (such as here) that drive and inspire me to continue on.

Wonderful! Welcome back from your days in exile! :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

Thank you, Kenny! I have been, and shall continue to do so! :slight_smile:

very use full, it sound little hard “about” personality, but they have right, i found allots of artist less passionated for understand what and why are making art, but surely in CG ART or something more close to commercial work we need focus in hard matters, any way i always believe it’s a hard chose really work in graphics, but when your work makes tedious and you not are enjoying your work something are wrong…

this topic is really so usefull and the Sketch is so important ,thanks for tips :slight_smile:

shrunkendesigner and Lunatique big thanks to you for words like this
it’s real help with a bit of motivation to go with painting and get some more form ourself
and I’s something perfect for me cuz I started my journey with painting for real fev days ago and I’m still looking for information how to start, what should I practise, how to improve skills fast etc.
so
I really needed [b] that words of wisdom

I’ll try to not give up :smiley:
[/b]

HI! Lunatique vbmenu_register(“postmenu_5945903”, true);
I go to some forums in a long-term. I have seen most of the individual works by almost all the impact of Japanese CG . The pursuit of Japanese cartoon style CG…Although beautiful style
but when I read their experience…I am sad that moved more than
As you said…They are only pursuit of others …

I would like to express my thoughts in many ways …Just Humanities .I think therefore I am
so you said the spirit of the artist .I very much agree with

I am very strange expression in English…Continue to learn in ^^!

Im new here, in the past ive joined endless forums/websites and found nothing to inspire me.
ive been looking at this forum only for the length of time ive been reading those two posts and it kicked me in the groin and said to me “reality check” and forced me to inspect what art i have done so far.
as with many ive been drawing and have been passionate about art for a long time, and as with many i was originally mimicking anime i had watched on TV.
my stlye still reflects that, im glad however. because without it i would be alot worse an artist.
but now i look toward becoming a futuristic conceptual artist :smiley:
and this thread got me motivated to do so.
(im gonna thank google search for forcing me to stumble upon this site :d)
and thank lunatique and shrunkendesigner also for helping me awaken the dormant passion for art, guitar and sci-fi writing.

Thanks

~c~

I feel I’m so lucky to find this post, Lunatique,you clearly solved my puzzle and showed a way for me.Now I know what I want and what I should do to reach my goal. by the way, I learn Cg not for living, it is what I love and what I want to sacrifice for. it is a kind of lifestyle.

Your top ten blew my mind with how technical and yet eloquently it was stated.

My only problem is I find that I may fall into the latter class of artist, which profoundly absorbs my time and strength.

I want to become noticed and the best at creating 3dstills with precision, but only for a hobby. Last year I had what you called a breaking point. I was creating artwork for someone and I had to repeatedly keep doing the work over and over again. This one piece took a years worth of time from start to finish. Last August I had a mental break and everytime I did anything creative I had a panick attack, the room would spin, my heart would pound like a heart attack, I would feel faint and then dizzy like I was going to pass out.

Then the disorder lead to other aspects of my life, being in social places.

After about a year of just creating art for just pure enjoyment I have gotten my mind, body, and spirit back on track. I wish I had a stronger ego, I wish I had thicker skin, but I don’t.

I do enter my art everytime for Exotique and Expose, only to get rejection, so I have come to accept that I suppose. I want to eventually get to the point of acceptance for Ballistic publishing. I have to start somewhere and I am glad that I came accross your pointers.

Thank you for your guidance and wisdom.

Heather - Sometimes, we allow the world to destroy something we love. A child may love the act of drawing a crayon drawing, and he’s happy until he shows it to a critical adult, who tells him that the sky looks wrong, the trees are the wrong color, and that blob in the corner does not look like a dog at all. All of a sudden, a once enjoyable experienced has been turned into one of frustration and anguish and disappointment–even embarrassment.

And that begs the question–do we create for ourselves or do we create for others?

Some people are perfectly fine creating for themselves. They feel no real need for the approval of others, and they have no interest in doing commercial work that will be scrutinized by a client or a boss. They may not even show their work to friends. Simply being immersed in their own little happy world is enough. Those a bit more adventurous might share their work with others, enter their works in competitions, show them to galleries to inquire about representation. In cases like that, the general level of anxiety is still lower than doing commercial work, because either your work is considered good enough to warrant praise and attention, or it isn’t. Your livelihood does not depend on others’ perception of your work.

Once you decide to become a commercial artist, it gets harder. When people need to depend on your consistent excellence of quality and professionalism for deadline sensitive commercial projects, they will scrutinize your work and your conduct with a microscope. Some people can’t handle that kind of scrutiny, and when they are faced with it, all the joy they used to feel about doing what they enjoyed has now become an unpleasant experience. Some people never get used to it, and it stays a nightmare until they decide they’ve had enough and refuse to be involved in commercial art ever again. They take some time to recover and return to doing art simply for the love of it, and accept that they would rather do something else for a living instead of killing their love for doing art again. Then there are those who either recover from the initial stress and get used to it, or never felt it to begin with–they simply took to the commercial world like fish to water. Either way, they eventually come to relish the challenge and the thrill of participating in commercial projects that reaches a wide audience–some of the projects even puts their name in spotlights. They see dealing with commercial projects and its potential issues as problem-solving and are not fazed by any of it. Annoying at times, but never crippling or disheartening. Some even do personal works in their free time away from commercial projects to regain some of that private sense of joy that does not involve clients and bosses.

So, as you can see, when I talked about personality traits in relationship to one’s potential to become a good artist, it also applies to what kind of an artist one would become. A good artist does not automatically = a commercial artist. Someone who only creates privately can still be a good artist, as could someone who doesn’t do artwork professionally, but shares his work with the rest of the world via online or other means. There are many different ways to be an artist, and I think it would be a tragedy if we only accept commercial works as the sole measuring stick of who is or isn’t a good artist.

You are so wise Robert and I rather enjoy reading your posts as they are very insightful and inspiring.

Thank you for posting. I gained knowledge and a new perspective on my art and I will continue to grow and learn as much as I can about my endeavours.

As you so eloquently stated “A good artist does not automatically = a commercial artist. Someone who only creates privately can still be a good artist, as could someone who doesn’t do artwork professionally, but shares his work with the rest of the world via online or other means. There are many different ways to be an artist, and I think it would be a tragedy if we only accept commercial works as the sole measuring stick of who is or isn’t a good artist.”

So with that seed of knowledge I will continue, thanks.

I feel sometimes I need new perspective in order to regain control.

heather, think about this: it’s not fair that something you love brings out the worst of you.

your sensitivity is not a weakness: as a artist, you have the ability to see the structure of things. when you are walking in the streets, you can see the perspective lines, the folds of clothes, the lighthing on a particular surface… and it’s something that isn’t limited to material objects. you can observe the structure of things in life, in people, in feelings, in reasonings, because art isn’t something you simply “make”, art is your way to see things in general. it’s only yours. creating art is the only thing that no one can ever take away from you (not even you), it’s your personal integrity. if someone asks you to make something, it should be because s/he wants something yours and nothing else. if at a certain point you feel a project is unappealing for whatever reason, no way you are bound to do it anyway. social anxiety comes when you do something that’s not yours anymore. instead it’s the artist that puts in motion a commercial chain, not the opposite.

on the other hand, try to understand what weak points were touched by that event. did you accept a job that didn’t really suite you? did you pick a job without fully understanding first what kind of work they wanted? did you have a problem with deadlines and organization? did you have a problem with criticism or unapproval?
you should use that ability “to see structures” to clearly observe your own flaws (being them on the “human” part or the “technical” part). you should be the first judge of yourself. if you aren’t honest with yourself who will? do that gradually and serenely. don’t live it as negative. rejection and criticism are some of the most natural things a person has to live with.
when i was a young girl i was kinda obsessive with seeking criticism. i would show my artwork to a person and say “find flaws!”. i can remember that when my mom, not being expert of art, said that she couldn’t find flaws, i would go mad and say “just invent them then!” (poor mom ^^; lol). it was kinda crazy… but somehow it had its own logic.
why did it have logic? because what makes us feel good is not praise itself, it’s that making art makes us a better person. the purpose of pointing out your own limits is to go beyond them. “noes” are a positive helping hand, open a wonderful world of possibilities, guide us through it, force us to enrich ourselves with the research of new inputs and new abilities.

:slight_smile:

cricchio,

Thank you for your words of wisdom, at a point today when I really needed them most.

As artists we do tend to see everything differently, I know I do. I try to put forth my heart and soul in every aspect of my life, and I hope that when people see what I do or my artwork they truly see the real me and all of the hard work I put into things.

Your words made me think and forever changed my way of looking at things.

Again many thanks.

As many others I really have to thank you for this post, and the original author also. I’m studing animation at an art school, I have to say that all of this is really new for me, but you helped me to start making up my mind and keep all of that negative ideas apart. I really enjoy doing this, and since 8 weeks ago I can say that i have improved, and that is motivating me a lot.

By the way, I saw your webpage, really impressive all the work you have done at your age, I enjoyed specially the music and the paintings. If you don’t mind the question: for how long have you been playing and painting?

I’m glad you can get something meaningful out it. Helping others is the most fulfilling thing for me besides creating and learning, so it makes me happy when I make a difference in other people’s lives.

I’ve been drawing all my life, but only got serious about it around puberty. I never wanted to be just an artist though, even if art had been the main focus of my career (not by choice but simply logistics). I place a higher importance on storytelling and music than I do art.

As for music, I started very late. I didn’t really start until I was about 18. I had messed around on a guitar playing some simple chords before that, and plinked on little toy keyboards, but that’s just messing around. It was in my 18th year that I actually saved up enough money to buy a rig that allowed me to compose/arrange/record my own music, and I never looked back. I wish I had formal training and started young like all those musical prodigies, but my parents were not supportive of anything I did, so I had to be self-taught in everything I do.

And even with that “late” starting you are doing it great with the music and I saw you sold one of your compositiong to a famous singer din’t you?, I also think I started late in the music (15) but I really enjoy it, and I think after animation I will have some serious studies in music, at least audio engeenering. Thank you again, and keep doing that great job and inspiring younger artists. :wink:

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum, and just happened to come across this useful and insightful thread.
Do we create art for ourselves or others? I found that a very thought-provoking question.

For me, I spent my growing years engaged in drawing. From colouring books, to doodling, to creating my own characters and finally to drawing comic strips. Was i creating art because I enjoyed it or was it for others? Sadly, I found that as I was progressing through the years, I did it more for the latter. Praise spurred me on to do more while criticism held me back. And a few years back, I gave up any interest in it when I hit a setback. It was only recently when I realised I had given up but was still doodling subconsciously that I decided art is and still is a medium in which I express myelf. Not for anyone else, but for the sake of putting my ideas into realisable forms.

I would like to restart my process of engaging in art again, with a particular interest in creating stories be it in a single piece of drawing or a graphic novel style. Basically, creating art as a means of sharing my ideas with others. But the question is, where should I start right now? I have many years of mindless doodling, but no formal training:(

Jasmine - I think you’ll find your answer right here in the Art T&T forum. Just take a look at some of the recent threads here, since others have asked the exact same questions recently.