Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Lasse Juul Kolding

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #1
Strange Behavior (Animation) Entry: Lasse Juul Kolding

Lasse Juul Kolding is entered in the "Strange Behavior Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Render: Strange Relations

Old 08 August 2007   #2
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Rainbow Lion sketch and Frameboy previs

The Rainbow Lion is a very loose sketch of one of the 4 characters that share a symbiont - and very strange off course :) - relationship in my animation.
The Frameboy is already 3D - in his 2D nature - and somewhat shaded, and he would be the fourth of the 4 characters. Not completely sure whether he will be in the clip or not, yet.

The two main characters are expected to jump out of my head shortly, and then off course show themselves here.
C&C are welcome at all stages, although I realize that what I posted probably doesn't make much sense yet....
Strangeness all around!

Old 09 September 2007   #3
good luck friend .

Old 09 September 2007   #4
Thank you Siavash, I'm gonna need it!

Old 09 September 2007   #5
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: Android Concept

Concept drawing of the main character.
As I mention he will be wearing clothing all throughout the shot, so I have focused my drawing and design on the parts that will be visible during it. To begin with, he will just be looking like a human, so this sketch is really a big spoiler...oh well... ;)

Old 09 September 2007   #6
Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization: The TV Cat

Concept Sketch of the second main character.
They are all really kind of main...
Read the description on the picture for some more info :)

Old 09 September 2007   #7
Modeling: TV Cat Head

Finally got started on the modeling. The TV Cat will be the first one and we'll see from there how much time I have :)

I have changed since the sketch, added antennas to function as a type of whiskers instead of my planned ears, and made different ears instead. Also added a speaker...

I have quite a big scene in mind with 4 characters and a couple of strange events taking place in a moon lit destroyed city type scene. This being the head of one of the two primary characters, but I doubt that I will get to make that whole scene before the contest ends.
Maybe I'll just make a little scene with those two characters from the concept drawings, again, we'll see :)

Old 09 September 2007   #8
Modeling: addendum

A quick addition to the last post,
I thought this picture from the viewport was both fun and descriptive. :)

Old 09 September 2007   #9
Modeling: TV Cat modeling WIP

A couple of legs are missing but I have to get some sleep ;)

The proportions might still change, I'm still tweaking all over the place.
Some details of the design are saved for texturing and displacement/bump.

Can't wait to see it fall over and go into static, but I'm taking it one step at a time :)

C&C welcome!

Old 09 September 2007   #10
Modeling: TV Cat Wireframe

Wireframe of the full TV cat shown in the next picture...

Old 09 September 2007   #11
Modeling: TV Cat full body

Done with the modeling now.
Tweaked some more after adding the hind legs, and might do a bit of tweaking later...

First of though I think it's about time to look at texturing and shading, if there are any comments before that, I sure would like to hear them :)

Old 09 September 2007   #12
Your TV Cat is really interesting... I'll have to keep an eye on you.

The only critique I have is that the TV head looks like it would topple the cat forward easily... but since you plan to have the cat faint a lot anyway... this might actually work to your favor. G'luck man!

Old 09 September 2007   #13
->quasiagent1
Haha yeah, it is good for the fainting moves I have in mind that he is fairly top-heavy
He is strong enough to carry the head and jump around in his everyday moving around though...

In this last picture he does have a slightly smaller head than in the earlier pictures, which is good, but I like that it is still quite big.

Thanks for the comment!

Old 09 September 2007   #14
Shading (Textured and lit): Blue screen of the dead city

This is not an actual shot from the animation or lit in any special way, heck it's still even in the "kitty Da Vinci pose" ;)
It is however coming along with the texturing and shading and then I made this quick mock up for ambiance using a 2D painting of mine as background.

It also shows the beginning of the face itself which I think is quite funny :)
I might put up some animation tests when I get around to it, quite a lot to see to these days.

The next thing I wanna do is rig it and make another shot where it has been knocked unconscious by something, landing on it's head with static on the screen...

Hope to hear what you guys think! :)

Old 09 September 2007   #15
very interesting character
to the face I would add some noise and maybe some horizontal lines going from top to down, like in old tv screens.
now it looks like paint, not like a screen.

Thread Closed share thread