The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Jennifer Phillips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Jennifer Phillips

Jennifer Phillips is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: original background

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: Initial Sketch for character

Sketch using Photoshop of charater pointing into the distance saying.... "Look! Gold coins! There is gold out there...come journey with me and we will all get rich!" Wish I had a tablet rather than just a mouse!

Last edited by webwings : 03 March 2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: add text

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Terragen Backgrounds: Come with me and make a fortune

2 background images created in Terragen and rendered (not line art but there isn't a drop down menu).

Last edited by webwings : 03 March 2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add some notes: I lowered teh cloud in Photoshop as well.

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Coloring WIP: Who will come with me and make a fortune? (There's gold in them thar hills)

I worked all night to get the fat man with a beer belly finished! I used Photoshop to colour him. I have added a photo of a coin and duplicated it to see what it will look like.

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Final Coloring: Who's coming to make their fortune?

This is a mix of 2D and 3D. I have joined the two background images and changed the colouring and cloud in Photoshop. I drew a bag in Photoshop and added shadows....used the clone tool to change a few strata lines and burn tool on the man...not the final colouring...still atmospheric elements to add

Old 03 March 2006   #6
i didn't get what you were discribing from looking at the pic.

maybe it's because he looks like a tourist and not a prospector. if a prospector were showing someone else in the scene some gold and trying to convince them to come with, that might tell your story better. also, if the prospector were a really seedy looking character, it would be a really hard decision for the person being asked.

good luck
and have fun,
~B

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Coloring WIP: Once upon todays Gold Rush

This is the first person I have created on the computer...quite challenging...learning lots as i go....haven't painted one since I was quite young! I have drawn the coins now....still working on this.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Coloring WIP: Once upon today’s gold rush.

No epic journey would be an epic with an adversary of some kind and here is mine:
....and he left his laptop unattended for just a moment, but that was all the time Lortnoc needed to worm his way towards the backpack (his real name was Lord Nocs but Lords had been out of favour since the revolution as everyone knows)....

Old 04 April 2006   #9
Coloring WIP: snakes but no ladders today thanks

....he would need some climbing gear to get to the bottom and the journey would be a lot longer than it appeared….. it wasn’t just over the rock as it appeared to be. Distances are often deceptive like that.....
Now the thing about computer worms is that they can replicate themselves very quickly and Lortnoc’s accomplice was there with a helping hand.....
(beginnings of second character)

Old 04 April 2006   #10
Coloring WIP: Screen capture of settings in Terragen

These are the settings I used to create the background images in Terragen. I also used Terrapainter to draw the terrain map for the pyramid.

Old 04 April 2006   #11
Coloring WIP: Snakes but no ladders

Dr. Krad was very clever or rather that is how he perceived himself, which is not how other’s viewed him....anyway he had what appeared to Deerg the perfect solution to his snakes and ladders problem....just the thing to help him begin his journey by descending the great rock.
(This character was fun to draw...I am finding it easier this (second) time)

Old 04 April 2006   #12
Coloring WIP: Snake rope

I have been playing around repositioning everything. Not sure that this works. Maybe I should have the man reaching for the snake rope with his back pack on his back.

Old 04 April 2006   #13
Line Art: It's too far to go.

What do you think????
I think I will take out the old man and put this girl in instead and have the overweight man reachig nout to her instead of having money in his hand!

Old 04 April 2006   #14
Concept Sketch: Changed traffic conditions ahead

I think this idea might tell more of a journey story than the previous one. I have put some of the optimized jpg files together to see what it will look like. I will move the man forward a bit and maybe bend him over with his outstretched hand.

Old 04 April 2006   #15
Line Art: Change in stance

Here is the outline of the changes I made to the man. The new warp tool in Photoshop was helpful...saved me a lot of time redrawing this image.

Thread Closed share thread