The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Mark David

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Mark David

Mark David is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final image - The Journey Begins

03 March 2006
Hey Mark, fantastic to see you here mate! this will be lots of fun..can't wait!

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Stormy Weather Ahead

Here's the basic idea... Our hero is a rat, straining to drag his sailing boat into the water. His boat is loaded up with cheese to sustain him on the long voyage ahead. On the horizon a storm is building up - things are going to get bumpy out there. The boat has a telescope mounted on the bow and there are going to be maps and other stuff on board too.

03 March 2006
This looks really cool - I like the worry on his face! there are not too many humerous threads out there so this should stand out

Keep it up, I'll check back soon.

03 March 2006
Looks like a great concept Mark! Like the sketch too.

03 March 2006
Go for it Mark- looks really funny!

03 March 2006
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Shakes and Soapy, thanks for your encouragement and tips. 3D_Explorer, great to see you in here too. M477, thanks for dropping by (I'm looking forward to seeing your concept too)

I'm going to start on the boat first I think. You just can't do a epic journey on water without a boat.

Cheers,

Mark

03 March 2006
Modeling: Beginnings of a boat

I was wondering if the rat should have a really wobbly-looking boat, or a smart-looking one - the hero boat. I decided on the hero boat because he's a hero rat. The rat knows a lot about boats, and that's why I think he'll survive the journey. But I'm worried about the rat too. I don't think he realises how big the ocean waves can get.

03 March 2006
Nice start. It will be interesting to look that further. Go on and good luck.

03 March 2006
Welcome in Mark! I am glad you decided to enter.

Good storyline and sketch, there is lots to sink your teeth into. Nice modeling so far, I think it is great how much ettention to detail you have shown with the tiller and dagger board. That rat is one smart boat designer!

03 March 2006
Really nice modeling on that boat. I've modeled a couple and found it very difficult to get the shape right. I'm curious how you've done it. It looks very clean. Could I persuade you to show a wire?

03 March 2006
superb boat Mark!
beautiful detailing..you're off to a great start there mate.

03 March 2006
Modeling: wire for the boat

Hey Soapy, thanks for dropping by. Yep, those rats keep surprising us with how smart they are. I didn't know just how smart they are myself until I modelled this boat. Hi Ray, here's your wire. I agree that boats are frustrating to get smooth. I always start with a cube, get the basic shape right with as few polys as possible and then every time I chop up some polys and make it more complicated (using the knife tool or edge cut tool) I pull the new offending bits back into line. I hope that makes sense. Thanks to you too, Shakes and Phantom(Rus)

Last edited by mdavid : 03 March 2006 at 12:32 AM.

03 March 2006
nice clean wires for the boat,I always found them hard to get looking right too,but you've pulled it off nicely

good stuff!

03 March 2006
Good modeling, i'm also modeling a sailboat for my entry, a clean model isn't the easiest thing!

Thread Closed share thread