The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Daniel Hoffmann

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Daniel Hoffmann

Daniel Hoffmann is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Modeling: Wizard

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: Concept01

My concept sketch. Sorry for the bad quality but I don't have a Wacom or a scanner at hand right now!

Edit:
Well, as you can hopefully see, this is my concept sketch. I would have joined erlier but I had wait for my new keyboard to arrive. I was lucky, that I could start modelling anyway.

As far as I can think, people used to call me Indy. However, some of the folks say, that I was looking like Harry Potter. I hated that. However after having seen the movies, I started reading the books and became somewhat like a fan.
This is why I want to do something which could be HP related.

My idea is a wizard boy, who, for some reason (maybe his parents or his girl friend were killed), has to face a bad, old and mighty wizard. The final fight between those two will be at the home of the old wizard. He lives on an old graveyard in an old an spooky house.
Our litte hero knows, that only one of them will survive this very night...

Last edited by ][ndy : 03 March 2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Adding Story

03 March 2006
Modeling: Grave_1

The first kind of grave which will be found on the graveyard.
I simply created a plane and extruded and sized it. After I had the overall shape, I used a bevel on the edges to give it a smoother look.

03 March 2006
Modeling: Grave_1

Double post!

Last edited by ][ndy : 03 March 2006 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Double post!

03 March 2006
Modeling: Grave_2

The second kind of grave.
Made of two discs and a bit of boolean. After that, also a bevel on the edges.

03 March 2006
Modeling: Stone_Stairs

The stairs which will lead to the house of the dark wizard. Made out of a polygon, extruded, sliced and beveled.

03 March 2006
Modeling: The Dark Wizards House

Modeled out of boxes, streched, sized, beveld.

03 March 2006
Modeling: The Dark Wizards House 2

Another view.

03 March 2006
Hi, Daniel. It looks like your modeling is coming along nicely Only thing to criticise yet I think is that the house is sort of ordinary looking, if you see what I mean, it doesn't look very scary. Three houses that I think are very scary and that you might look at for inspiration is the house from Psycho, the house from The Amityville Horror, and the lonely bedroom window at the top of the stairs from The Exorcist.

03 March 2006
Hi Kjell, thanks for the critique. I only know Psycho, but I will have to check that again. I would also like to check the look of Voldemorts house in Hary Potter 4, but the DVD isn't avaliable until end of March.
Couldn't it be, that the house in Psycho looked so scary because of the black/white look of the entire film?
I hope with textures applied to the house, it will look much better.

03 March 2006
Modeling: Dark Wizards House 3

A first render with the Dirtmap-Shader.
Still the doors are missing.

03 March 2006
Hey Daniel ,

Nice modeling on the house .... I agree with Kjello , the house isn't very scary yet. The setting could help out the scary factor to as well as just changing from Siding to Stonework on the house and have the house look beaten up or slightly rundown. Good luck with this.

03 March 2006
You're right Daniel, texturing, lighting and perspective will do a lot to establish the mood. I do think, though, that it would be easier with a more iconic shape to the house. The house in Psycho for example is (In my mind) a sort of cross between an old american ranch house and a decrepid old castle. (The house in HP4 is also almost like an old castle as far as I remember.) The house in The Amityville Horror is completely different, more like an ordinary house, but the upstairs windows look like a pair of glowing eyes in the dark.

03 March 2006
Great start to your modeling, it looks really good in the render. But I would suggest, (if you're trying to make the house look more creepy or spooky) to make it a bit more irregular and run-down looking. If you skew the proportions a bit, maybe rotate the boards and tweak a few edges it will look less perfect and more sinister, like something is not quite right. Anyway, it's looking good so far, good luck with the challange. Alexi.

03 March 2006
Well, thanks again to all of you!

@mmoir: Yeah, I hope the setting of the house will help. But I really don't want to change the surface to stone.

@Kjello: I was planning to let some spooky greenish light come out of the windows. Maybe this can help to lwt it look spooky.

@alexichabane: thx. Rotating some of the boards is a good idea. I am not so used to the "used look". But this is what helps to add realism. Since the first Star Wars we know that!

Thread Closed share thread