Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ed Humpal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ed Humpal

Ed Humpal has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Tales of Science Fantasy

As the holidays recede I sure hope I can catch up in the final stretch. Very open to suggestions!

10 October 2004
Welcome to the Chalenge!

& good luck to ya!
Passing good, or eles black lead."

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Tales of Science Fantasy!

I love Space Opera of the Pulp Era - especially the whacked juxtapositions of Mythology and "Futurism." So here we have a goddess, a rainbow bridge, supplicating devotees, an old school SF skyline, and migrating spaceships!

I start pretty loose right in Photoshop, without too much concern what the squiggles look like, except what they mean to me as placeholders, then I redraw quite a bit as I paint.

10 October 2004
Line Art: Tales of Science Fantasy

I've been enjoying the "back stories" some artists have created, so here's mine:

Tales of Science Fantasy - Issues 62, October 1929
Feature Story: "Goddess of Dimension X"

Synposis: Andromeda Jones, Squadron Commander in the New Earth Space Armada, takes an intrepid band of Elite Rocket Rangers to the Outer Rim of the Galaxy, where Supreme Science Minister Doctor Huer (no, wait... uh, Doctor Zarkov...no, no...hmmm...'Supreme Science Minister Jor-El'...no....wait, got it) - where Supreme Science Minister Dr. Joel "Specs" Bigbrain has postulated that Dimension X begins! As soon as their ship crosses the glowing barrier, Andromeda and her crew are X-warped into a dreamlike landscape where they gain new Mental Powers, including Mind Control, Space Control, and Time Control! Andromeda immediately puts her abilities to good use, helping the simple pastoral people of Dimension X, but one of her crew members, the young Victor Von Doom (no, wait... aw, fuggeddaboutit) sets out on a campaign of Dimension-wide conquest! Will Andromeda be able to save this Arcadian paradise from the deranged Von Doom? Continued next issue in: "A New Hope."

10 October 2004
Lol have fun figuring out your characters! nice composition as is, but dont be afraid to try switching things around, ie mirror image, quick sketches of things in diferent places. a great part about starting a piece is that there are so many ways it can go. try not to narrow down your paths too early.

Good luck

10 October 2004
Ah, really has an older sci fi feeling to it so far, not something too modern, gives me a feeling of old battlestar galactica. keep up the great work, seems a bit calm so far... don't know if you are looking for a huge amount of peace, i look forward to seeing the development

10 October 2004
Line Art: Tales of Science Fantasy

Still tinkering along here... please throw stones and roses.

btw, a heartfelt tip of the hat to the many, many killer entries.

10 October 2004
and thanks to both of you - I do keep my piece in quite a few layers to variously transform different elements. So I tip things, resize them, as can be seen between the last 2 versions.
This goes on till the very end.

Quite a dilemma about the peace/compositional stability thing. In some ways, I actually love the somewhat static (maybe I mean formally balanced) quality of the old sf illustrations - like old photographs where the subjects had to hold still for the exposure. This of course is no rationalization for a dull image, so my intention (/crosses fingers) is that the movement comes in the textures, light, and story. Many cool pics in this composition where everyone and everything is hurtling through space, and I love them, but this is meant to have some stillness.

10 October 2004
Line Art: Tales of Science Fantasy!

still playing with hues, proportions, getting stuff a little more concrete

any thoughts?

10 October 2004
I think the first sketch looked better than those more detailed. Perhaps it's because you had one ruling color in it, the towers were taller, and those people were smaller. Your subject is very hard though, because there are so many people you have to make look perfect.
I suggest you to try to make the colors more harmonic, or then again.. I could be wrong.

10 October 2004
Tru dat, at this point they are rather different pictures. I downsized from the Cosmic Goddess to the Rocket Ranger lady, and decided I wanted to create some very specific people for her to gaze at, rather than a crowd of ants. Still haven't decided if they should be smaller, or whether I want one or two more, so I'll let your comment percolate. Thanks. And the city was the next area I planned to work on. It's the bigger people that made it smaller. I may post a series of resizings.

Anyone else?

10 October 2004

here goes.... 2 variations. This is one....

10 October 2004

... and two. Hmmm... Since most of the painting is still in my head, all 3 of these layouts seem servicable, just a matter if I want more space and atmosphere, or more portrait and symbol.

I'll have to sleep on it. Any comments?

10 October 2004
Hiya Ed,

Great concept, coming along nicely. I can see a little Poussin poses here too Keep up the good work.

Mark

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

11 November 2004
I think the "floating head" has some great potential for cool glowing power effects, have fun with it! I chuckled to myself when I read your "name search" for your characters, I do the same thing. ; )

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

”I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.”
Roy Batty, replicant.

Thread Closed share thread