Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Jan Huybrechs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Jan Huybrechs

Jan Huybrechs has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

10 October 2004
My first idea

Ok, I joined the challenge yesterday, and I've come up with a basic idea:

Two races are struggling for survival, their only hope is to establish a colony on the only green planet left in their solar system. But the planet is too small to support both races, so only one can have it. That means war.

While the massive battle takes place high above the planet, we get a glimpse of what is happening on the surface. We see a small creek where strange flowers and plants grow. In the distance we see one of the planets moons rise, while high up in the sky we can see a faint image of starships in battle. From behind a rock we see a creature look up towards the sky.

Maybe I can also put a shot down spacefighter in the water, still smoking.

BUT: It's still a bit unclear to me what 'iconic' means. I mean, I know what it means, but what do they expect and what not? Anyone?

Last edited by theduke : 10 October 2004 at 01:10 AM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: very first sketch

A very first sketch of what I had in mind. I would fill everything up with plants and mosses. In the sky you see giant spaceships or battlecruisers or whatever approaching, and several smaller ones fighting. Here and there you will see explosions in the sky and maybe some smoke rising from the planet's surface. I also have to add a creature in the front that is looking from behind the very first rocks towards the approaching vessels.

This is my very first 'big' 3D work, and my sketching sucks. So if anybody has ANY comments, please do so!

Greetz

10 October 2004
Hi TheDuke!

My interpretation of iconic in this challenge is something you would draw for a movie poster.

You have very nice idea, keep at it!

--------
Grand Space Opera
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179998

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: New sketch with info

Well, I don't think I need to add any more comments so far. Still thinking about some details, like is the war still going on high above, or is it already finished and are the ships that won flying in but severely damaged ... Should I add a wreck somewhere. I'm going to put a lot of exotic plants all over the place (since it should be the last green planet in this solar system).

10 October 2004
nice

hey nice start there buddy.... if u ask me what is iconic in this compitition, i wud say its a turning point of a very advance race... like war, devistation, conflit, massive hand to hand combat, or it might b as simple as a peace comferance... i dont think the judges wud like to c a bunch of movie posters for this challange...ur image should contaid a self xplanetory story which can figured out just by lookin at it. and i gotta say u got great knoladge on logical space war... thanx for the suggestion on my thread... greatly appriciated... and abt ur concepts, its currently very unclear to comment on it, i'll b waiting for the updates on those... keep up the good works...

10 October 2004
Post Grand Concept Update

In a galaxy far beyond the border of our know space, worlds exist where races have mastered space travel, where technology has reached levels we cannot even begin to understand. But as most of them progressed, they ended up using all the natural resources of their home planets.

Many races that are able to travel trough space have already colonized other planets and moons, and expanded their territories throughout their galaxy. Races that did not have the means to travel simply vanished or ended up in terrible wars that destroyed most of the planet.

Most of the races that exist in this galaxy live in harmony. But there are two greater races that struggle for power in what we would call a ‘cold war’. The Mauran are a peaceful race that has a fleet merely to keep the peace in the galaxy, to stop the pirates that try to hijack cargo ships and so on. The K'hyarí on the other hand are a more aggressive and power-hungry race. They feel the need to control the entire galaxy, and destroy most of what is on the planets they control trough mining operations and slavery.

This is the way the galaxy has been for the past eight thousand years. Almost the entire galaxy is colonized, except for one small planet on the outskirts of the galaxy. The Mauran need now this planet in order to survive. The K'hyarí on the other hand have discovered that this would be an excellent mining planet. The last would probably completely destroy the planet and all life on it.

But the planet can only belong to one race. So a great war begun that lasted many years. The Mauran, that did not have the means to fight a war of this magnitude, quickly lost most of its fleet and had to withdraw to avoid complete destruction. The K'hyarí on the other hand also suffered heavy losses, but was victorious and claimed the planet. Their descent to the planet’s surface has begun.

Last edited by theduke : 10 October 2004 at 01:09 AM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Incoming ships

As I wrote my improved concept I thought about what you would get after a war. Ships would be damaged, smoking, broken. Here you can see a K'hyarían ship getting pulled in by some smaller ships. It is hit in the back, and smoke is still coming out of the hole in its side.

I would place a second ship (the same type) behind it, as you can see in my previous sketch. The second ship isn't damaged, just following. Maybe I'll add some smaller ships protecting the larger ships.

I need honest opinions plz !

Last edited by theduke : 10 October 2004 at 01:08 AM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Big (damaged) ship

I've made a simple sketch of the big ship that's pulled in. I want it to be really really big. In the sides there are hatches where space fighters can land and take off. I'll leave some of them open, maybe add a plane that's just coming in our out.

I'm really not good at drawing, so be gentle :-)

10 October 2004
Duke, I had decided to do something similar a while back too. I was going to do a WWII sub kind of theme out in space. Though instead I opted to go that space-mo-bile thing..

Will be looking forwards to seeing those models asap!

10 October 2004
Modeling: Space Ship

Hmm, as I'm modeling this space ship, I'm getting the feeling that it looks too ... how should I say... friendly. What's happening is that an agressive race is about to destroy an entire planet, so it has to look dangerous, threatening, ... I need a more agressive approach I guess.

I'm also going to start on the native fauna and flora. That's going to be fun (read: challenging).

10 October 2004
Sounds like a great plan. Like the ship alot. Best of luck in this challenge!

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

11 November 2004
Modeling: Simple 3D representation

Well, this is already part of the environment, the planet if you will. I'm going to add another coast at the oposite site of the river or lake or whatever. The side that you can see here will be full of tropical plants.

I only recently had the idea to make it a nightscene, to make it a bit more dramatic. This way I can add some alien insects that emit light and stuff, to make it more mystical and peaceful looking (about to be destroyed ...).

Anyone who thinks it would be better if it were a day-scene?

11 November 2004
Modeling: Concept sketch, fog added

I added some fog, and made the moon bigger and more appropriate for the scene.

11 November 2004
Oh, and for those wondering, the blue light on the rocks was just a test for those light emitting creatures, I wanted to check what the effect would be on the curved rocks. There should be a lot of leafs and flowers there, so the effect should be pretty kewl.

Thread Closed share thread