Maya 6 announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2004
Maya 6 announced

Maya 6 has been announced on Alias's website. Some of the new features:
  • Motion Retargeting and Motion Redirecting tools, with improved character animation tools.
  • Workflow improvements with a revamped Trax editor
  • More file format support, including Adobe Photoshop file importing
  • "New features most requested by users to meet specific, everyday production demands –Discover significant advances in modeling, a tight integration of rendering technologies, more geometry options for Maya Paint Effects™, improved dynamics including deformers on particles, and a new level of access to the API, MEL™ and Devkit. These, and many more advances, round out a release that drives the evolution of 3D computer graphics."

Man, and Maya 5 Fundamentals was just released...

04 April 2004
Glad to finally hear some official info. Too bad I had just spent the last few months learning 5. :(

-B

04 April 2004
Most of the stuff you learned in version 5 should apply to version 6, though. They seemed to just add features and improve a few things here and there. In fact, a lot of Maya seems to feel the same since version 1. I learned Maya 5 by following a Maya 1 tutorial (the Chalmers medialab series). @_@

04 April 2004
plugged , thanks for the heads up.

Now softimage should announce xsi 4

04 April 2004
awesome,
it'll be fabulous when all the plugins and stuff start supporting version 6.x and then we'll be makin' some real progress!

04 April 2004
In a word...

... meh...

I'm pretty disappointed in this release so far. Granted I haven't actually used it yet, but the feature list is pretty lackluster.

The only new feature of significance seems to be Maya Hair, and that's only in Unlimited. I'm sorry if I can't get excited over the addition of little things like a soft modification tool because it's simply too little, too late. Soft mod should've been there 3 versions ago.

Viewport rendering sounds cool, but I'd be willing to bet my lunch that it's problematic and picky about what type of video card / drivers you have.

It looks like they finally fixed trax. I'm sorry but shouldn't that've been in a patch? Not a full release.

Somebody tell me why I should upgrade, cause so far I haven't seen anything I need.

04 April 2004
Yeaaaaah!!

04 April 2004
W00t! Looks like a great release.

04 April 2004
Quote: Somebody tell me why I should upgrade, cause so far I haven't seen anything I need.

It think Alias just wants to take it out before any one else gets a chance to upgrade. So they can look all big and mighty.

04 April 2004
Quote: Originally posted by kiaran
Somebody tell me why I should upgrade, cause so far I haven't seen anything I need.

Nor do I... think I'll save my pennies for another update. Maybe even for a commercial licsense of XSI 4.0

On a VFX Hiatus

04 April 2004
wow its out already? or has it just been anounced?

cant wait to see new trax

04 April 2004
i just was starting to get comfortable with v.5, now they dumped some more stuff on me to learn.

but i still cant wait to see wha new features they have

04 April 2004
They didn't do a thing for Mac users again either. Still Maya complete only. Thanks for wasting my time, and money learning your app Alias. I appreciate it. When I buy a PC now. I'm getting XSI. F***K Alias. No more money from me for these guys. I'm p*ssed.

I got CULT status baby!

04 April 2004
HAHAHAHAHA! Anyone bother to check out some of the demos? One of the voices sounds like she/he couldn't be more bored/stoned out of his/her mind. Hilarious way to advertise a new product.

It does seem kind of more like Maya 5.2 than Maya 6 or even 5.5. It also seems, in the brief overview I've done of it so far, that Alias is targetting Maya towards a more wide audience than just film now. A lot of web-based and videogame-targetted stuff it seems.

However, a lot of very handy stuff is here now. New particle tools are always welcome, though I'm sure they still don't have motion-blur on particles which is a pain. Also, PaintFX on polygons now is a huge improvement and very handy. The new modelling tools definitely seem excellent, even though plugins exist to do the same things, at least it's built-in now (poor Byron's gonna have to sell something else now methinks). Maya Hair could be useful, that shall remain to be seen I spose. The viewport rendering seems cool enough, though I will be interested to see how well it integrates with software rendering as final output, since hardware rendering doesn't currently give that great an approximation of a software render, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, it's always nice to have a new version but it's too bad there's not more there for a full "point" increase to 6. Fluid-to-fluid interaction would have been a nice thing to have added as well.

[edit] Wow, interactive playback for dynamics is very, very cool. Watch the Hair demo. It would be nice if they showed HAIR for a Hair demo, but whatever, I guess.

Last edited by WhiteRabbitObj : 04 April 2004 at 02:45 AM.

04 April 2004
Yeah, this really seems like Maya 5.5 rather than Maya 6 (same with Max 5 and Max 6...).
I dig the further integration with Mental Ray, and it sounds like there's been a lot of fixes to make life more workable, but... nothing to make me run out and get it.

Thread Closed share thread