messagebox width?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2011   #1
messagebox width?

Hi, sorry to create a whole thread for this, but i wasnt sure where else this should go.
basically is there a way to control the width of a messagebox? I'm currently throwing up some pretty long file paths and they're being lost off the edge.
Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Tom

Old 07 July 2011   #2
You can use escape characters in the strings to make a multi-line error message. So use \n to do a carraige return.

Messagebox "This is a very very very very very very\nvery\nvery\nvery\nlong message!"

You can easily write a function to put some '\n' in a very long string working out if the string is too long by using thestring.count will give you the number of characters.

Last edited by DaveWortley : 07 July 2011 at 02:12 PM.

Old 07 July 2011   #3
Hi,

How about truncating the text? You can test it's width in pixels and then delete some letter in the middle until it fits

str="This is a very long string that has been written so I can test my string truncation method."
 width=200
 while (GetTextExtent str)[1]>width do str=((substring str 1  ((str.count/2)-3))+"..."+(substring str ((str.count/2)+3) str.count))

(made as small as possible for Denis's benefit, now his turn)

J.

Old 07 July 2011   #4
thanks guys, i was doing the forced line break, but i was displaying some long file paths through variables that were causing problems. I might see if i can do something with j-mans suggestion, thanks for that
would be much easier if messageboxes just had a 'width:' attribute, but i guess they really dont..

Old 07 July 2011   #5
You could also display the complete filename and only truncate the path using:

filenameFromPathand getFilenamePath

to seperate the filename and path before shortening the path.

J.

Old 07 July 2011   #6
Originally Posted by j-man: Hi,

How about truncating the text? You can test it's width in pixels and then delete some letter in the middle until it fits

str="This is a very long string that has been written so I can test my string truncation method."
  width=200
  while (GetTextExtent str)[1]>width do str=((substring str 1  ((str.count/2)-3))+"..."+(substring str ((str.count/2)+3) str.count))

(made as small as possible for Denis's benefit, now his turn)

J.

the truncating a long text is absolutely right idea. i usually do it to place filenames(paths) in UI.
working with filenames it makes sense to truncate beginning of the path. so my simple version of the string truncation looks:

str = @"C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010 SDK\maxsdk\ProjectSettings\AdditionalCompilerOptio  ns.Readme.txt"
fn truncateString  str width:200 = if (gettextextent str).x > width then
(
	width -= (gettextextent "...").x
	local new  
	for k=1 to str.count while (gettextextent (new = substring str k -1)).x > width do ()
	"..." + new
) else str
truncateString  str

Old 07 July 2011   #7
and there it is <:

J.

Old 07 July 2011   #8
it's easy do use .net to messages:

(
	local str = @"C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010 SDK\maxsdk\ProjectSettings\AdditionalCompilerOptio  ns.Readme.txt"

local mb = dotnetclass "MessageBox"
	local button = (dotnetclass "MessageBoxButtons").YesNo
	local icon = (dotnetclass "MessageBoxIcon").Warning

local result = mb.show (str + "\n\n" + "Do you want to save the file?") "Quit" button icon
	format "action: %\n" (result.ToString())
) 

the .net messagebox cares about a message length itself.

Old 07 July 2011   #9
Originally Posted by j-man: and there it is <:

J.

actually as you see my function doesn't work correct. it might return a text longer than the limit.
it's why i called it simple version.

Old 07 July 2011   #10
I wanted to play with the big boys and went totally overboard and failed:

Looks like I got the wrong handle

Old 07 July 2011   #11
he-he... it seems like you want to change message box size. you got the right handle...

Old 07 July 2011   #12
haha, wow thanks guys; i came up with a temp fix but i might try out your suggestions when i get more time

Old 07 July 2011   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread