Toy Car Concept, Scott Robertson (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2003
metallic grey, black, and now metallic red

Here is a piece I just wrapped up. I did it as a PS demo piece for my class and another piece for my book. Hope you enjoy. It is meant to be a fun wacky car made for kids.

www.designstudiopress.com
www.drawthrough.com

Last edited by Scott Robertson : 11 November 2003 at 02:07 AM.

10 October 2003
KICKASS!

Wow! If I type fast enough, I'll get to be the first to respond to this...
I have the feeling I've seen your work somewhere else, but I can't remember... is it Design Studio Press?
I wish I could take your class, 'cause this is such fine technique!

The front-end does seem a little out of balance with the rest of it, and I dunno if I really like the purple windscreen, but who cares - this is awesome!

Hope to see much more from you here. Do you do any 3D work? If not -- you should invest!

[EDIT: Ah! I see your DSP link now, and I remember your site. Wow, my memory's bad... I spent an hour or two at your site nabbing images about perspective to try and learn a thing or two from you. I hope you let us (read: me) know when you finally put your book out, because it's gonna be an invaluable resource - I can tell!]
My METAL BUG o1 THREAD

THE SOUL IS DYED THE COLOUR OF ITS THOUGHTS

Last edited by William b. Hand : 10 October 2003 at 11:15 PM.

10 October 2003
Excellent work Scott!
I think the wheels in the back are a little too big though. Regardless, it is still a very nice design. It look like a plastic car that has been "coated" so that it looks like metal. Nice touch.

Personally I like the purple windscreen. It is one of my favorite parts.
- www.EdHarriss.com

Last edited by EdHarriss : 10 October 2003 at 12:38 AM.

10 October 2003
Wow, you know what? I looked at this and I said, "This looks like that cool bike rendering tutorial I saw the other day." And then realized that it's you!

Welcome to CGTalk, Scott. Any friend of Feng Zhu is a friend of ours here.

10 October 2003
That would make an awesome RC car that you would see somewhere like Radio Shack.

Current projects :
Supercomputer
Sprak II

10 October 2003
feels like 180 mph...

for real, you gave me the impression of speed...

thanks for sharing

-Strang

10 October 2003
You know I think it is so pathetic for people to model cars and real life stuff. I mean this forum has a ton of corvettes, lamborghini's, mustangs, etc. Why use the ability to make anything you can imagine into making something that someone else imagined!!!

I think making models like that is a total waste of time when you could be spending it on more creative endeavors. Real life cars are crap, they exist in the real world, I can see them in a magazine or a car lot. Who cares if you can model one? But this is not one of those endeavors. If someone is gonna model a car be creative and original!!!

And dude this is creative and original, and I love it. I wish this thing did exist in real life. That and girls shaped like the ones in DOA!!! Very very very very cool.

Man, what is the blue book on this?

:

10 October 2003
Scott, beautiful in a Viper sort of way, very nice PS piece, you should definitely dive into some 3d software!
Flog, people model what they want to, and for various reasons. I know people in this forum and others that are making their living modeling cars "imagined by other people." Whether it be for courtroom/crime representation, or video games, to call it pathetic is a pretty broad statement, and while it may not require a whole lot of vision, it does require quite a bit of skill.

10 October 2003
Awesome work as usual Scott. You style is very efficient.

On a side note:

"You know I think it is so pathetic for people to model cars and real life stuff."

Wtf? are you a complete fool Flog. You just dissed every artist who has ever tried to represent reality with their artform. You have also miserably failed to realise that commercial realities are what drive the trends of the professional 3D industry. When a multi-million dollar client comes to you asking for a digital car replacement... Go figure.

10 October 2003
Flog....

You spout off quite a bit about how pathetic it is to model real-world cars...and that there should be much more imagination expended when modeling....I am still waiting to see your overactive imagination post a car...real world or otherwise.
Perhaps those who complain the most about what others are modeling...can't model anything themselves...

Just a bit tired of others ripping other people's efforts, and talent when those making the commentary haven't posted anything worthwhile.

Loqutos

10 October 2003
Very nice design. If it were black, it would be a nice looking Batmobile.

10 October 2003
Scott,

just wanted to say, thats a great rendition of a concept car, I love the paint job on it and the body shape is very stylin Looks great!

look forward to seeing more of your work

10 October 2003
nice

Hey, easy on Flog.. I think he was just trying to make the point that it takes a little more imagination to design a car rather than duplicate something that has already hit the streets.

At first I thought, "wow, nice concept rendered in the likes of Lightwave or Max"... and then I woke up and visited your site. Awesome traditional stuff!
I think 3D software would only slow you down. I will have to sign up for class!

10 October 2003
first word that comes to mind- HOT WHEELS!

Very nice.....great windshield, and great overall design. I like the difference in the size of the wheels....very toy car-ish. Love the 3dness too...

and..SHINY! ^_^

Great work!

~S

BTW, all you have to do now is make it black, add a jet engine, and call it another Batmobile lol

Thread Closed share thread