Dead Computer :( What Should I Replace?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2003   #1
Dead Computer :( What Should I Replace?

Well, today I turned on my desktop to find that everytime it went into the windows xp load screen, it restarted...I didn't realize this till it restarted 3 times. I thought "Dam, a virus :(" so i inserted the windows xp cd to reformat and all and i find when i try to boot from the cd, i get the blue screen of death! It looks like my compuer finnally has had enough and died :thumbsdow I dont have the cash right now to get a new computer but i'm wondering if I replace a certain piece of hardware, if it will fix it. What can be wrong? The harddrive, gfx card, mobo, proccessor, etc? I think its the harddrive, which I can replace but I've only had it a year Here are my specs:
p4 1.7 gigz
40 gig HD
Geforce 4 MX 64 Meg
52x cd drive
48x cdrw
512 megs DDR ram
If its only the harddrive, and if i replace it, will that fix everything? I'd love to get your second opinions on this, thanks

Old 10 October 2003   #2
It's hard to tell what it is. Do you have any spare parts (or a friend with em). You wanna try and test each thing seperately
and see what's actually failing.
I'd only try the harddrive option if you can return it if that's not the problem.

Old 10 October 2003   #3
What sucks is I just passed my one year warrenty by a month :thumbsdow If i recall correctly, some of the parts had a 3year warrenty. Im gonna go through the reciepts and check it out. And yea, I'm gonna grab some spare hardware

Old 10 October 2003   #4
It could be many things. I would say its one of 3 things Motherboard, CPU or Ram. you should buy a Hard drive try it in the system and if thats not the problem keep the harddrive for your next computer.

I intend to live forever. So far so good

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread