Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
av23
Veteran
portfolio
Tony Haer
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom

sudden change in nparticles when rendered out?

Just doing a test with small nparticle balls, but when it gets half way through it suddenly changes to more fluid like? any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOnLjiPPzw

bit of distortion at the begining, so just ignore that

Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
mandark1011
Expert

portfolio
Michael Lemon
Fx Artist
Canada

The reason this is happening is simple enough. Imagine nParticle grids are like a fluid bounds. It is calculated as a square bounding box, you are going from a higher resolution to a lower one because the grid size is getting large. Adjust your settings in your mesh output tab to compensate.

One thing i do is to set 8 nParticles at the extreme edges (cube) of my sim, that way maya will always calculate the same bounds no matter if the sim is happening in a smaller area or at its final position. Then just set the nPartcile radius of those 8 particles to zero.

good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Im not sure he intends using the iso-mesh, are you sure you are not using blobbies? Maybe you need to post a scene, it looks pretty odd more of a bug.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
av24
portfolio
Tony Haer

i'm using water nparticles and using an emitter with the text set as a goal which has visibility turned off

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

it looks like you need to play with your radius and threshold values, prob increase both values. Both seem too low and therefore your sim is requiring a ton of particles before the metaball effect kicks in which you see happens half way through your sim.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

It looks to me more like what Michael described. He is probably converting particle to poly, not using the native particle blobby raytrace. As such his triangle size is probably quite small relative to the text size. As the bounds of the region gets larger the max grid size is exceeded and the triangles get larger and smoother. If a single particle suddenly shot away from the text it could explain why the jump happened so suddenly.

If this is the case then make sure all the particles stay within a close region. Either increase the triangle size or the maxTriangleResolution. Also it might help to increase the blobby radius scale, depending on the desired effect.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
av23
Veteran
portfolio
Tony Haer

here is the file if your interested. i really like the effect at the begining kind of looks a bit like stop motion, but don't like it when it becomes more fluidic
Attached Files
File Type: zip nparticletest.ma.zip (265.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by av23 : 06-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Okay so you are using the isomesh then the above comments would apply, although the particle distribution on your file looks different from the one in your video for some reason. If you dont like the liquid effect I would delete the isomesh and just work with particles.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
av23
Veteran
portfolio
Tony Haer

yeah, changed it slightly. What i originally wanted was a drop to fall splash and then form the logo, couldn't get it to work so gave up on that and found i quite liked this effect. Will they render without converting to polygon mesh? also is it possible to revert back to particles when youve converted to polygon mesh and saved? or would i need to make them again?

Last edited by av23 : 07-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Yep, they are only blobby particles. You can delete the meshShape nodes and under the display tab on your particle shape, turn off 'intermediate object'.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
av23
Veteran
portfolio
Tony Haer

Thanks a lot! just curious how would you go about making a drop splash and then form the logo? as the particles are all attracted to one side of the logo, is there a way to make them distribute evenly?

Last edited by av23 : 07-08-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread