The Tree of Life :: Production Focus

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
The Tree of Life :: Production Focus

Hey there,

VFX Supervisor Dan Glass walks CGSociety through the production of The Tree of Life from branch to branch, trunk to leaf. Check out the video at the top of the story. Such an engrossing film, with nods to Koyaanisqatsi and 2001: A Space Odyssey, I want to see it again, and again.

Click the image. Come back to comment.

Old 06 June 2011   #2
So much emotion and warmth in that video...

Just beautiful

- Ty

Old 06 June 2011   #3
Thanks for making this topstory. Really hope that brings this artwork to broader recognition.

It simply has to be seen and appreciated.

Tyler

Old 06 June 2011   #4
Thanks for this article.

As a fan of Terrence Malick's work, I'm very excited about the prospects of this film.
I'm glad to see production utilized the expertise of Doug Trumbull and that practical techniques were utilized for some of the effects work as opposed to going all digital.

Last edited by PaulHellard : 06 June 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #5
Kind of reminds me of the use of live action footage of chemicals and chemical reactions for use in backgrounds in space in Aronofsky's The Fountain:

http://www.awn.com/articles/product...-vfx-petri-dish

If you guys are fans of Mallick, you should definitely check out the new BD release of Thin Red Line. Easily the best BD transfer i've seen. The sound quality is just on another level.

Last edited by TheThidMan : 06 June 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #6
Terrence Malick composes shots more beautifully than any director I can think of. He's a true master of angles, colors and lights.
Even if you don't like the stories in his films, they're undeniably great to look at.

Very excited for this film, and the snippets of effects shots I've seen look great. I'm jealous of the people who got to work on this.

Old 06 June 2011   #7
Oh wow! ... i can't believe i didn't know this existed. Terrence Malick's work is without question, some of the most beautiful work i've seen. The New World is by far one of, if not my favorite film.

IMDB trailer http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi612735001/

The space shots are very beautiful, as mentioned above, very similar to The Fountain, another beautiful film.

If you haven't seen The New World, i can highly recommend watching it before watching this, judging from the trailer, they feel very similar. And watch the uncut version, so much more beautiful

Last edited by everlite : 06 June 2011 at 08:51 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #8
Exclamation

I saw this movie in the cinema with my gf.
Firs time in my live I never seen so many people leaving the cinema or fall in sleep because of such a boring film.

Good to promote this film because of the art you see for about 20minutes in the 2h20min film.
But as a film lover, I want to warn people do not watch this film because of this art.
Wast of money and time.

Quote (link-review):
Tree of Life is a movie so assured of its own subject matter and presentation that it forgot to actually make something watchable.

city of war
(stopped rip)

Last edited by Qual : 06 June 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #9
I think it's pretty safe to say that this movie is not suitable to those with short attention spans, inability to reason beyond a Uwe Bol/Peter Jackson/Michael Bay type plot or those addicted to the likes of X-Factor/Jersey Shore/The Simple Life level of entertainment. That rules out the majority of movie going public.

Old 06 June 2011   #10
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: I think it's pretty safe to say that this movie is not suitable to those with short attention spans, inability to reason beyond a Uwe Bol/Peter Jackson/Michael Bay type plot or those addicted to the likes of X-Factor/Jersey Shore/The Simple Life level of entertainment. That rules out the majority of movie going public.

Agreed. I liked it a lot, it's not boring at all if you can pay some attention.

Old 06 June 2011   #11
Originally Posted by ThirdEye: Agreed. I liked it a lot, it's not boring at all if you can pay some attention.

I did pay attention, hope at the end of the film it might change my mind so I did keep my attention but it didn't. I watch all sort of genre of movies from all over the world. This movie was my top 5 worst movies in my live and many people around the world agree with me.

So its not about if you pay attention or not.

city of war
(stopped rip)

Old 06 June 2011   #12
Originally Posted by ArnaudLublink: ...and many people around the world agree with me.

That's just my point. The vast majority of the movie going public are popcorn heads that can't reason a film's intent beyond the size and quantity of the explosions and the on-screen romance of the Hollywood's pretty people calling themselves actors. Please don't think I'm questioning your intelligence, but to argue your point by saying most people around the world agree with you is doing your credibility more harm than good.

Old 06 June 2011   #13
Rolling Stone -

"Like its predecessors (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World), Tree delivers truths that don't go down easy. No one with a genuine interest in the potential of film would think of missing it."

New York Times -

"With disarming sincerity and daunting formal sophistication The Tree of Life ponders some of the hardest and most persistent questions, the kind that leave adults speechless when children ask them."

rottentomatoes - (86%)

Wall Street Journal -

Daring in concept, occasionally daffy in execution and ultimately unforgettable, Mr. Malick's film offers a heartfelt answer to the question of where we humans belong - with each other, on this planet, bound by love.

Quoted from the following;

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_tree_of_life_2011/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478304/criticreviews

Old 06 June 2011   #14
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: That's just my point. The vast majority of the movie going public are popcorn heads that can't reason a film's intent beyond the size and quantity of the explosions and the on-screen romance of the Hollywood's pretty people calling themselves actors. Please don't think I'm questioning your intelligence, but to argue your point by saying most people around the world agree with you is doing your credibility more harm than good.

Yes by saying most people around the world, I take that fact by reading many reviews after I watch the internet. I have seen many many movies in my live, not only US fighting films as you might think, but also many culture/life/romance movies from France/Asia with same kind of genre of this film but then many times better.

city of war
(stopped rip)

Last edited by Qual : 06 June 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #15
Yes by saying most people around the world, I take that fact by reading many reviews after I watch the internet. I have seen many many movies in my live, not only US fighting films as you might think, but also many culture/life/romance movies from France/Asia with same kind of genre of this film but then many times better.

Can you give a more articulate critique of what you didn't enjoy about the film?

Thread Closed share thread