May 2011 video game sales worst in five years

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
May 2011 video game sales worst in five years

Quote:
"After riding high from the thrill of E3 last week, the video game industry got a harsh slap in the face Monday.
As reported by the NPD Group, sales of video games in the month of May were down 19 percent compared to a year ago -- the worst performance for the industry in nearly five years.

You have to look back as far as October 2006 to find a dive this steep. And, making matters worse, none of the industry's fortunetellers saw it coming. Analysts had expected May to be relatively flat thanks to a Wii price cut early in the month.

Game software sales came in at $375.8 million, $90 million less than May 2010. Year to date, the industry is a worrying 14 percent off of 2010's retail sales pace."

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/76...t-in-five-years
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2011   #2
Probably has a lot to do with steam? Since they don't release sales figures and a hell of a lot of people are buying games from steam now particularly a lot of indie titles..

Old 06 June 2011   #3
I saw this in USA Today about a week or so ago...which seems to show a current and future trend to gaming.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming...le-gaming_n.htm

I can't find the link to current and projected sales figures for hardware that was in the article as well. So, I am just typing it here from the article in USA Today.

Platform_______________2010__________2011

Smartphones________553 Million______815 Million
Tablets______________17 Million_______36 Million
Consoles____________183 Million______227 Million

To me it seems like a healthy projected growth all around, however with the massive influx of casual gaming, especially on Smartphones where games are offered more and more as "free," people are going to start expecting more of their games to be free...and if developers supplement that by going the free route and using marketing/advertisements to pay their expenses, I wonder how those numbers figure into the overall sales figures for games.

Last edited by Rez007 : 06 June 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #4
console tech is getting old, games are getting boring...

Old 06 June 2011   #5
Do you really think that smart phones are stealing console and pc game users? I think the type of games people play and the reason are very different between those devices..

I think its just this generation of consoles is getting towards the end of their cycle so nothing is really as exciting any more...

Bring out the next gen and release games which look like that Unreal demo and watch the sales flood in...

Old 06 June 2011   #6
Originally Posted by Kabab: Probably has a lot to do with steam? Since they don't release sales figures and a hell of a lot of people are buying games from steam now particularly a lot of indie titles..

Steam might not report sales, but the big developers who are selling through steam report, don't they? I wonder exactly what is factored in. I've bought all of my games in the last... 3 years from Steam. Besides, 1 month in 5 years is bound to sell less, even if 14% is pretty significant. Ebb and flow. I predict next month sales will be up.

Old 06 June 2011   #7
Originally Posted by Kabab: Do you really think that smart phones are stealing console and pc game users? I think the type of games people play and the reason are very different between those devices..

I think its just this generation of consoles is getting towards the end of their cycle so nothing is really as exciting any more...

Bring out the next gen and release games which look like that Unreal demo and watch the sales flood in...

I just posted the article that was in the paper, however, in my opinion, "Yes" they are to an extent. If casual games is where the money is - developers will go that route. I read somewhere that EA took a hit as well, however, their Smartphone and Tablet area was doing well...i.e. Chillingo

Looking at some of the games that were at E3, I think BF3 was looking really nice and will defintily be some competition for the COD franchise, and I beleive that next year is when we should start seeing the new consoles surfacing...

Old 06 June 2011   #8
There weren't any big must have games released last month that would increase sales. I am tired of idiot analysts crying chicken little every time a months sales is less than the year before.

Old 06 June 2011   #9
Quote: There weren't any big must have games released last month that would increase sales.

Exactly what I was going to say. All of the anticipated "Big Name" titles aren't coming out until later this year. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few months time, we end up with a month that far exceeds the figures for the previous year.

Old 06 June 2011   #10
Might have something to do with the de-evolution of game design.....

Old 06 June 2011   #11
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: There weren't any big must have games released last month that would increase sales. I am tired of idiot analysts crying chicken little every time a months sales is less than the year before.

It's going to be followed later this year with sales records being broken when Modern Warfare 3 and the other big names on each of the platforms are released.

Old 06 June 2011   #12
HA! I love the image artbot.

There were no big releases and the game industry landscape is changing. Like sheepfactory said, not a lot of good games came out. Though I am a bit shocked that L.A. Noire didn't help those figures more.

And I'll bet that social/mobile/casual and digital download games were on the up and up last month. The times are changing throughout the industry. Nothing to be all doom and gloom about. It's been a crazy couple years in games, but the dust will settle and there will be more opportunity.

Last edited by Sky : 06 June 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #13
Originally Posted by Artbot: Might have something to do with the de-evolution of game design.....

No they still make frustrating games today. That image is wrong.

Old 06 June 2011   #14
Originally Posted by Artbot: Might have something to do with the de-evolution of game design.....

Exactly this.

Last edited by kemijo : 06 June 2011 at 07:11 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #15
Originally Posted by SheepFactory: No they still make frustrating games today. That image is wrong.

I think this refers to level of difficulty and satisfaction - not frustration like todays linear game process.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Thread Closed share thread