Lofting Multiple Objects using Maxscript

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
Lofting Multiple Objects using Maxscript

Hey!
is there any simple way to loft multiple objects using maxscript (a function that would take a collection of splines and loft them using an instance of another shape)? i tried the macro-recorder but it didn't show anything, so i consulted the maxscript help file and, to my disappointment, it says:

Quote:
Constructor
Loft compound objects are not constructable by MAXScript.

thanks for help

Old 06 June 2011   #2
Lofts are not maxscript compatible sadly. What other shape do you need lofted along those splines? Somethng complex?

- Neil

Old 06 June 2011   #3
I was able to create lofts with maxscript years ago, by merging them from a dummy max scene. I don't know if there's a better way, but I think it worked well enough.

Old 06 June 2011   #4
hey!
thanks for the replies! i ended up lofting manually :(. I was lofting railing bars and i wanted better control over the height of each bar i.e. when i changed the height of the spline (by moving the splien vertex) i could change the height of each railing bar, the reason i could not just create instances was that each bar had a different profile spline, so i lofted each profile spline shape (roughly circular shape) about a vertical spline (defined by 2 points, point A = [0,0,0] and point B = [0,0,2'6"]) this way as i moved point B up all the bar's would become taller (i did this for 28 bars! :( ). I was working on a deadline so i did not have time to write a (maybe) complex script, actually (IMO), all i needed to do was script a spline shape with cross - section and surface modifier, and install a callback or when construct that will be called when the vertical spline shape is modified and the callback would recreate the bars. Will give it a shot in free time

thanks

Old 06 June 2011   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread