leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Exclamation Temporary changes in Gallery Acceptance

As all of you know, we've always operated a form of quality control over all images being submitted to the Showcase Galleries - this has been the case since we started up the galleries about eight years back. About six months ago, a decision was made to become stricter with regards to quality, resulting in more images being rejected due to technical and artistic weaknesses within them. Understandably, a few people haven't been too happy about this decision, so as an experiment (which actually started a few days ago), I've been accepting pretty much everything that gets submitted to the gallery, regardless of the quality of the image.

This gives you, our members, the chance to see everything that gets submitted to the gallery.

The only criteria that will result in work being rejected is stuff like having incomplete full names for the submitting artists, non-existent descriptions, and gallery flooding of multiple simultaneous submissions - in other words, more bureaucratic criteria as opposed to any criteria regarding the images themselves.

We're interested in hearing everyone's feelings about this system, so please feel free to share your thoughts over the next week or so that we'll be running this experiment.

Anyone who has had work rejected recently is free to resubmit their work at this point.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
InTerceptoV
MentalMan

portfolio
Toni Bratincevic
Irvine,

leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
anto-toni
Frequenter
portfolio
Anto-Tony Juricic
Texturing Artist
Digital Domain
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to anto-toni

I agree with InTerceptoV and I think that going to extremes is going to do more damage to already cracked reputation of cgshowcase gallery.
I think the right thing is to make jury of 5 - 10 artists like they did on raph.com
JURY

Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Swordlord
Frequenter

portfolio
Vlad Konstantinov
Ryazan, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Swordlord
Angry

Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?

P.S. I'm not sure that it's the good decision to put all works (good and bad) into one gallery. Probably it would be reasonable if you make two different sections. Or you can make a little more soft edge for accepted images than it was recently to reduce the amount of dissatisfied users.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV
leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...

We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordlord
Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?

I'm currently validating the images in shifts to avoid too many going in simultaneously. I'm sorry that your image appeared on the second page, but honestly that happened pretty much every day before I changed to this system anyway.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Swordlord
Frequenter

portfolio
Vlad Konstantinov
Ryazan, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to Swordlord
But what's the reason in this case to post the images into CGS Gallery if nobody won't see them?
I understand that you have a strong flow of images here but I think that it's not quite fair when some of authors are lost. Please don't think that I defend my work (although I'm disappointed a little...). I just want to help to make the CGS better.

Maybe it would be reasonable to make a few sections in the 3D Stills forum (scenes, characters, architecture etc.)? Then more users could hope that their art would be seen.

P.S. And probably the Anto-toni's idea about jury could be interesting...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
PasKal
Know-it-All

portfolio
pascal ackermann
CG 3D Artist
Montpellier, France

For my part, accepting all the images, is not the best idea .
At the minimum, we have to accept finish work ( texture, lighting etc ... )
Perhaps, add a Exelence Gallery ( like 3D TOTAL ) could nice,
and a Award Gallery seleted in the Exelence one .

And have THE OLD SYSTEM VOTING !!

Web Site
_________

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
keraj37
3D Lover
portfolio
Jerry Fletcher
LA, USA

Leigh, if I was also the reason of that silly experiment, sorry - I was thinking only about my work, that in my weak mind was good enough to be in the gallery - now CGTalk Gallery looks like crap

Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
InTerceptoV
MentalMan

portfolio
Toni Bratincevic
Irvine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.

Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
hbajramovic
Poly Freak

portfolio
Hasan Bajramovic
Senior CG artist
Blur
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Send a message via Yahoo to hbajramovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV
Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!

I totally agree with Toni ! I'm sure you guys will find a good solution for the gallery

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Controller51
Veteran
portfolio
Daniel Karner
Stuttgart, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordlord
Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?...

Yes , I have the same problem. My image started on the third nearly fourth page. Thats quite annoying because I think its good quality and worth to see...

http://features.cgsociety.org/newga...79224_large.jpg

I think its not the best solution to accept all images. On the other hand beginners who really want to improve their skills should have the opportunity to post their work to a greater community... I think the solutution is something in between. Accept more beginner images but deny the crap...

Cheers Daniel

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
elmata
bump bump the volume

portfolio
Sebastien Lardillet
3D Generalist
Rennes, France

Send a message via MSN to elmata
Post Please!!!

Please come back to the latest rules of submission!! there is too much freakin unfinished, bad and ugly work now....
It's really counterproductive imo... Nobody wants to comment such those bad work! And i'm sure that many users do not want to loose their time to find 5% of good work against 95% of bad draft among a huge number of new pics for now...
Thanks!!!

CGtalking WIP pin up
Portfolio

Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
Rivenis
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrew Blackman
Illustrator-freelance
Barbados

I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(

Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
glmig

portfolio
Luís Gonçalves
Loures, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenis
I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(

I apologize if im butthurt when this is not accepted but this is (i also apologize to the author of that image but... im butthurt )

I also agree that there should be required a minimum quality for the 3dstills gallery but at least make coherent. I dont mind getting my images refused in the 3dstills forum as long i dont see unfinished work getting accepted there.

Thread Closed share thread