Temporary changes in Gallery Acceptance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  05 May 2011
Temporary changes in Gallery Acceptance

As all of you know, we've always operated a form of quality control over all images being submitted to the Showcase Galleries - this has been the case since we started up the galleries about eight years back. About six months ago, a decision was made to become stricter with regards to quality, resulting in more images being rejected due to technical and artistic weaknesses within them. Understandably, a few people haven't been too happy about this decision, so as an experiment (which actually started a few days ago), I've been accepting pretty much everything that gets submitted to the gallery, regardless of the quality of the image.

This gives you, our members, the chance to see everything that gets submitted to the gallery.

The only criteria that will result in work being rejected is stuff like having incomplete full names for the submitting artists, non-existent descriptions, and gallery flooding of multiple simultaneous submissions - in other words, more bureaucratic criteria as opposed to any criteria regarding the images themselves.

We're interested in hearing everyone's feelings about this system, so please feel free to share your thoughts over the next week or so that we'll be running this experiment.

Anyone who has had work rejected recently is free to resubmit their work at this point.
 
  05 May 2011
leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...
 
  05 May 2011
I agree with InTerceptoV and I think that going to extremes is going to do more damage to already cracked reputation of cgshowcase gallery.
I think the right thing is to make jury of 5 - 10 artists like they did on raph.com
JURY
 
  05 May 2011
Angry

Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?

P.S. I'm not sure that it's the good decision to put all works (good and bad) into one gallery. Probably it would be reasonable if you make two different sections. Or you can make a little more soft edge for accepted images than it was recently to reduce the amount of dissatisfied users.
 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV: leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...


We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.
 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by Swordlord: Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?


I'm currently validating the images in shifts to avoid too many going in simultaneously. I'm sorry that your image appeared on the second page, but honestly that happened pretty much every day before I changed to this system anyway.
 
  05 May 2011
But what's the reason in this case to post the images into CGS Gallery if nobody won't see them?
I understand that you have a strong flow of images here but I think that it's not quite fair when some of authors are lost. Please don't think that I defend my work (although I'm disappointed a little...). I just want to help to make the CGS better.

Maybe it would be reasonable to make a few sections in the 3D Stills forum (scenes, characters, architecture etc.)? Then more users could hope that their art would be seen.

P.S. And probably the Anto-toni's idea about jury could be interesting...
 
  05 May 2011
For my part, accepting all the images, is not the best idea .
At the minimum, we have to accept finish work ( texture, lighting etc ... )
Perhaps, add a Exelence Gallery ( like 3D TOTAL ) could nice,
and a Award Gallery seleted in the Exelence one .

And have THE OLD SYSTEM VOTING !!

__________________
_________________________

Web Site
_________
 
  05 May 2011
Leigh, if I was also the reason of that silly experiment, sorry - I was thinking only about my work, that in my weak mind was good enough to be in the gallery - now CGTalk Gallery looks like crap
 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by leigh: We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.


Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!
 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by InTerceptoV: Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!


I totally agree with Toni ! I'm sure you guys will find a good solution for the gallery
__________________





 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by Swordlord: Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?...


Yes , I have the same problem. My image started on the third nearly fourth page. Thats quite annoying because I think its good quality and worth to see...

https://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchiv...79224_large.jpg

I think its not the best solution to accept all images. On the other hand beginners who really want to improve their skills should have the opportunity to post their work to a greater community... I think the solutution is something in between. Accept more beginner images but deny the crap...

Cheers Daniel
 
  05 May 2011
Post Please!!!

Please come back to the latest rules of submission!! there is too much freakin unfinished, bad and ugly work now....
It's really counterproductive imo... Nobody wants to comment such those bad work! And i'm sure that many users do not want to loose their time to find 5% of good work against 95% of bad draft among a huge number of new pics for now...
Thanks!!!
__________________
sorry Wenglish In Progress

CGtalking WIP pin up
Portfolio



 
  05 May 2011
I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(
__________________
My Blog
Diskordia
 
  05 May 2011
Originally Posted by Rivenis: I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(


I apologize if im butthurt when this is not accepted but this is (i also apologize to the author of that image but... im butthurt )

I also agree that there should be required a minimum quality for the 3dstills gallery but at least make coherent. I dont mind getting my images refused in the 3dstills forum as long i dont see unfinished work getting accepted there.
 
  share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.