expressive portrait

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  04 April 2011
expressive portrait

I'm trying to deal with more expressive/emotional portraits with the face and needed some critiques and comments on my piece. Does anyone have any suggestions on the composition possibly? Are there any anatomical problems to his face? Also, does anyone have any tips on making the blood and bruises look better, more realistic. As well as any tips on making his eye extremely watery and just about to cry.

critiques and comments on any aspect of the piece would be very appreciated. thanks

Last edited by Renus3000 : 04 April 2011 at 01:36 PM.
 
  04 April 2011
Can anyone give me tips on how to make the bruises look more realistic and also how to make his eye look really watery and about to cry?

 
  04 April 2011
Hmm... Is he drooling? I assume that bit of liquid from his mouth is coming from his other eye... Perhaps if you painted a trail. As far as making his eye watery, the tear duct is in the corner of his eye closest to his nose. That is probably where you want to paint most of the tear. The water will catch more light and therefore have a strong set of highlights. I would find some reference images of people tearing up. Like this one:



I just googled "Man crying" and that was one of the top hits. Hope this helps!
 
  04 April 2011
Thanks but I don't think I wanna make a trail for the tears though. I just wanna make his eye extremely watery just before the tears actually flow down. Thanks for the reference though.

Does anyone have any suggestions or c&c on the blood or any tips on convincing bruises?
 
  04 April 2011
Well, large bruising like the couple you're trying to depict usually comes with significant swelling, and I base this on the fact that you're having blood falling from his mouth--so he's been recently hit. So, with that in mind, the blood vessels under the skin have recently ruptured. Therefore, the dark bruising color is very visible and concentrated at the area of impact. The bruising you painted is a bruise that has been healing for a week or so, and the discoloration has spread and faded.

I did a paint over on what it should look like, and it doesn't keep your man very pretty ^^;



You also asked how to make a watery/teary eye. To get that effect is shine placement. You had the right idea on making them stand out, but you wanted the effect of tears that haven't fallen, so to do that, you need to make shine outside of the pupil and iris and towards the tear ducts and outside edge of the eye. This helps the viewer draw their attention to the implied tears.

I've also taken away your dripping blood, because it looks cartoony and too unrealistic for your fairly realistic piece. I looked at a lot of bloody lip references, and lips just don't bleed like that, and bleeding lips from a fight are from hard contact with the lip against teeth and spliting. So the blood doesn't drip gently or profusely, it sort of spreads away from the gash and dries on the lip. I can understand artistic liberties, but too much detracts from the image. I suggest just keeping a small small drop hanging from just under the lower lip.

I hope this helps you, and remember to use references!

P.S. I kept the heavy bruising at the top of the eye because that's how you started, but it was very hard for me to find photos of that, so I don't think the coloring is too correct. I would probably just change to something like the ref at the bottom of your original.
__________________
Sketchbook
 
  04 April 2011
Hmm, in a smaller resolution my po doesn't look very teary so much as angry, but I swear when it was larger he was just about to cry lol! So you may as well, disregard my advice about teary eyes.
__________________
Sketchbook
 
  04 April 2011
Liking the portrait

Hi! I like the way your portrait is coming up. I also like the way you did the hair, just wondering, how did you draw/ paint it, the hair that is?
Thanks!
 
  04 April 2011
Originally Posted by Chizzo: Hi! I like the way your portrait is coming up. I also like the way you did the hair, just wondering, how did you draw/ paint it, the hair that is?
Thanks!


I just did basic color blocking to the sections of hair, then i used a handy hair brush.
 
  04 April 2011
Originally Posted by cowboifunk: Well, large bruising like the couple you're trying to depict usually comes with significant swelling, and I base this on the fact that you're having blood falling from his mouth--so he's been recently hit. So, with that in mind, the blood vessels under the skin have recently ruptured. Therefore, the dark bruising color is very visible and concentrated at the area of impact. The bruising you painted is a bruise that has been healing for a week or so, and the discoloration has spread and faded.

I did a paint over on what it should look like, and it doesn't keep your man very pretty ^^;



You also asked how to make a watery/teary eye. To get that effect is shine placement. You had the right idea on making them stand out, but you wanted the effect of tears that haven't fallen, so to do that, you need to make shine outside of the pupil and iris and towards the tear ducts and outside edge of the eye. This helps the viewer draw their attention to the implied tears.

I've also taken away your dripping blood, because it looks cartoony and too unrealistic for your fairly realistic piece. I looked at a lot of bloody lip references, and lips just don't bleed like that, and bleeding lips from a fight are from hard contact with the lip against teeth and spliting. So the blood doesn't drip gently or profusely, it sort of spreads away from the gash and dries on the lip. I can understand artistic liberties, but too much detracts from the image. I suggest just keeping a small small drop hanging from just under the lower lip.

I hope this helps you, and remember to use references!

P.S. I kept the heavy bruising at the top of the eye because that's how you started, but it was very hard for me to find photos of that, so I don't think the coloring is too correct. I would probably just change to something like the ref at the bottom of your original.


Thanks for the help. But i didn't want to make him look like he recently got hit. I liked the almost healed bruises and just wanted a cut lip. I didn't want to make his eye bruised at all. I wanted to keep him "pretty" hahaha.

I'm still having trouble with the watery eyes though. I can't seem to make it look good. Can anyone help me with that?

 
  04 April 2011


I looked for online reference to what you wanted, using "asian man crying", "crying", "crying tears", and finally found this with "holding back tears".

I think what makes her convincing, is the double highlight in the iris, and that the water glisten, from the oncoming tear is going inwards towards her inner tearduct.

You have a single focused highlight, and your tear trail going the opposite direction... here's a side by side, with a change I made, hope it helps...

 
  04 April 2011
Originally Posted by baquitania:

I looked for online reference to what you wanted, using "asian man crying", "crying", "crying tears", and finally found this with "holding back tears".

I think what makes her convincing, is the double highlight in the iris, and that the water glisten, from the oncoming tear is going inwards towards her inner tearduct.

You have a single focused highlight, and your tear trail going the opposite direction... here's a side by side, with a change I made, hope it helps...



Wow, thank you so very much! This helps immensely! It looks a lot more realistic now cause I was just kinda winging it haha
 
  04 April 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.