Help with ****** "Houdini Fundamentals"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2011
Help with cmi vfx "Houdini Fundamentals"

I've just grabbed the last chance to purchase a yearly subscription for 299 and i'm following the "Houdini Fundamentals" video. Very pleased with the quality btw

Anyway, in the section about procedural selection I have two things I can't replicate.

First, the instructor selects faces from a grid, adds a polyextrude and say he presses the tilde key, witch disconnects the node, selects other faces, press enter and the polyextrude is applied to these new faces. I can't replicate these steps, the ~ doesn't seem to work for me, maybe it's because I use a mac Portuguese keyboard, can I change the Hotkey ? I don't know the name of this operation.

Then he demonstrates a attribcreate node and uses expresions like rand($PT+50) to get random values. However i get "unable to evaluate expression" errors using the same expressions. where there changes in syntax between H9 and H11 ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip express_error.hipnc.zip (7.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Cordeiro : 04 April 2011 at 09:33 AM.

04 April 2011
You had the expression evaluation method set to Python. In that case the syntax rand($PT+4) doesn't work because the function is a Hscript (houdini script). Houdini supports 2 types of scripting languages, python and Houdini Script and let's you switch between them at any point. You can select the global language for a node (like you did using the toggle in the parameter view top right) or on a parameter itself (right mouse button > change language to ...). Try making the expression work in python

Attached you can see the fixed file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip express_error_fixed.zip (7.8 KB, 9 views)

04 April 2011
Quote: like you did using the toggle in the parameter view top right

I did ? Lol of course I did. Thank you, I'll try to make it in python

Btw why is cgtalk censoring the word ****** ?

cmi-vfx with the "-" works thought

Last edited by Cordeiro : 04 April 2011 at 10:06 AM.

04 April 2011
Because CGTalk is immature apparently. I personally thinks its unprofessional to censor it.

04 April 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread