Dark/Middle Age building

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
Dark/Middle Age building

Well I have decided to start a new project, the project is going to be based on creating real time game assets (for UDK) in an English dark age style. The main asset for the environment scene shall be a small house with supporting props to hopefully bring the scene to life. I hope to keep the poly counts to a minimum or game standard and hope to get some feedback and advice along the way

Old 03 March 2011   #2
Well I have to apologise for not updating this post but I total forgot I started it an its only just appeared showing...odd. Well I have been dabbling away on a little low poly project maybe for a portfolio piece but hey. Below are some screen shots in max the model that I have started, it currently has 5 planar textures applied. 1,700 Tris. Crits welcome!

Old 03 March 2011   #3
And again.

Last edited by Glynn-Richards : 03 March 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #4
nice

I dont know about limitations and so on. I can only say what might look better.
Hard to see the wireframe but from what I can see you might be able to break the straight lines of the silhouette. Try to get the cornerstones to stick out or at least not be perfectly straight.
The roof on such an old house would probably be a bit caved in.
Some iron stuf on the big door maby?

Nice texture on the walls.
looking forward to see more

..it's a trap!

Old 03 March 2011   #5
As stated, breaking up the silhouette would be really nice. Also, maybe it is just me but the wall texture looks off, I cant quite explain it. To me it looks like you used the unsharpen filter a bit too much. Also there is a huge seam right in the middle of the building.

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Good start!

As mentioned before the silhoette could need some work as essentialy it is very close to a box now. Your wall texture is far too close the the photo you are using. You need to remove the lighting that is in this photo as it looks odd and clashes with whatever lighting you will add later. Be aware of how this texture can be seen on your model; with no edge anticipation like on the chimney it can look like an abrupt end.

I cant really see where you are spending all your tris now. If you are going to model each of those grey stones push them out and make those pollies work for you, you hardly see them now. Also look into getting some AO baked into your texture. May help.

Lastly this building keeps on hinting to me that it is early industrial age, not medieval. Too many straight lines (Think of wonky tudor houses) and something about that roofs shape.... I think collecting some good referances will help you alot.

Cheers
SK

Old 04 April 2011   #7
Hi guys, Thanks for the crits its always a big help! I will defiantly review the silhouette of the building as I admit that it is somewhat boxy at the mo. I am going to take your advice too and edit the roof to make it look more aesthetic and also pop the corner stone’s out more to get some more definition. I believe most of the tris are being used on the corner stone’s however I am not sure if I can get away with just having the corner stone’s as separate objects? Placing them into the building without welding?

Cheers Guys, I will update shortly

Old 04 April 2011   #8
Alright guys, well I have been again dabbling into this piece again. Here’s an updated shot of the ......17th C shack. I hope I am moving in the right direction regarding your crits. I have edited the Roof slightly with sag and reviewed the corner stone’s for the moment texturing to follow and maybe some more details to improve character?.

Thanks again for the advice and help!

[/img]

Old 04 April 2011   #9
And here is the wireframe.

[/img]

Old 04 April 2011   #10
Hey guys, here’s just another screen grab of the shack, I have gone for another type of texture scheme, any opinions? I personally prefer this one as I believe the corner stone’s blend a little more into the complete building. I understand the texturing is naff at the mo but hey, I am just was just getting a rough idea.

[/img]

Old 04 April 2011   #11
And again [/img]

Old 04 April 2011   #12
I like the overall look, especially the roof and corner blocks, but the texture on the blocks is very close to the wall itself. I think this looks bad because the wall texture is pretty noisy. Try going for smoother textures all around, particularly on the wall.

Old 04 April 2011   #13
is it just my problem? I think the roof is kinda bent~ or you did it purposely?

Old 04 April 2011   #14
Well I think I have become satisfied with the outcome of the shack. I have been playing around with the textures and feel that this scheme seems to work, Crits? The model is just short of 1,600 so I am hoping I can produce some suitable props such as a bench, wall lantern, an old cart etc without having a high poly count. I am going to aim to have a completed set including props within UDK equalling roughly 5,000 Tris max.

As it may be noticeable, this is a render of the model with a quick light set up and no Normal / spec maps added yet. I am in the process of creating them now

Thanks for the comment Jan, yeah I purposely sagged the roof to add a sense of age and character.

Your comments are more than welcome

Thanks

[/img]

Old 04 April 2011   #15
Here is render 2

[/img]

Thread Closed share thread