New machine for a confused mac & max user

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
New machine for a confused mac & max user

Hi folks,
I have a dilemma. I am an experienced 3ds max user but also prefer macs (why isn't life straight forward?). I currently own a 2009 macbook pro and run my max on a Dell precision M90 doing a compositing work on the macbook pro. Recently I realised that my pc is no longer up to the job as I had a high poly/chrome render that it could not handle. Basically I need to buy a new machine and have a maximum budget of 1700 that will enable me to render hi poly work quickly. I realise that the question of 'what machine do I need' gets asked a million times but any guidance you can give would be really helpful. I have a big architectural render coming up soon and would like the new machine in place for that.

Many thanks for your help in advance my friends.

Sean

03 March 2011
Are you looking to buy something and just plug it in, or are you looking for a parts list for a system you can build? Do you have anything already (monitor, keyboard and mouse, Windows license, etc.)?

03 March 2011
hi Olson and thanks for the response.
Ideally I'm looking to buy something and just plug it in as I'm not that experienced at putting a pc together plus you get the warranty etc. I know I should build it myself but I'm not that confident with building pc's.

Having said that I am open to all suggestions, so if you can think of a good set up for a 3d machine then please let me know.

Cheers
Sean

03 March 2011
There was a review on a workstation build by scan uk on March issue of 3d world.
It was based on i7 2600K which they overclock to 4.5ghz, 8gb DDR3 1600 ram, quadro 2000, 120gb ocz vertex 2e ssd for system, 1t western digital for storage, usual DVD writer & memory card reader. Win7 pro 64 for os. 2 year warranty (1st year on site & 2nd for return to base). Priced for 1,333 & vat, so roughly 1,600 inc vat?

I don't know how much you can save by getting exact parts & build by yourself, but I don't want to risk them catching fire or know anything about overclocking. For that, I thought it is pretty reasonable. May be you can contact them ask if they can put similar system without ssd or quadro to save bit of money. I am not sure how much you gain having those. Someone else might be able to answer that?

By the way, I don't work for them. I am also thinking about getting new machine for about same money. Just want to take this chance to see what others think as well.

03 March 2011
wow, that looks like a great system...I'll take a look.
Many thanks for that Umiumi!

03 March 2011
actually, I've just realised I have that copy of 3d world in my bag so have just read the review. It seems an impressive machine indeed. Ok i'll look for a nice monitor to go along with that (as i'm upgrading from a laptop).

Cheers
Sean

03 March 2011
Other place you might want to contact is bluegfx. I don't know anything about scan's or bluegfx's pre-sales or after sales services, but as blue is focusing on graphic industry (scan is more of reseller, I think), they may be able to offer you bit more in depth support. I am sure with that review, they can at least much the price.

Anyways, good luck shopping!

03 March 2011
thanks mate for your suggestions, really helpful!

Cheers
Sean

03 March 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread