Really hard time modeling a unit from a game.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
Really hard time modeling a unit from a game.

For my latest project I decided to model a unit from a game called Rise of Legends.
The unit in question is called "the Glass Cannon", and you can view it in all its 1080p glory here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33qzZHpm9PQ

Looks pretty cool, right?

Well, the problem I'm having is modeling the main body, which is a ellipsoid segmented in various triangular pieces that orbit around each other.

Old 03 March 2011   #2
Answer

I see what you mean, but what exactly is the problem. Is the problem the topology/modeling, animation or something else? Could you be a bit more specific because I would like to help.

Old 03 March 2011   #3
Originally Posted by Davo27: I see what you mean, but what exactly is the problem. Is the problem the topology/modeling, animation or something else? Could you be a bit more specific because I would like to help.

The problem is cutting the shape in various parts.

Old 03 March 2011   #4
Mesh--->Seperate

Old 03 March 2011   #5
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Mesh--->Seperate

Doesn't work.

It says "sphere has only one piece. Ignored"

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Hi there, thought I'd take a stab at this:

1. Created a spheroid with 24 sides and 11 segments.

2. I used edge connect/split/whatever you call it in Maya, to cut my middle triangle shapes.

3. I beveled in each of my triangle shapes by a small amount and then deleted the borders. You don't have to do this, you could just select your faces and copy/paste the faces to make them a separate object but I wanted to have a noticeable gap between pieces. You could stick a volumetric light in there or something for some cool effects.

4. I thickened the individual pieces and beveled in the outside faces to create a raised border. I I only modified 3 of the pieces and used radial arrays and mirrors to duplicate the geometry.

5. A quick render.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 03 March 2011   #7
Just for fun, did a quick render with a volumetric light inside the cannon, came out kind of cool.

Old 03 March 2011   #8
Originally Posted by Bonds0097: Hi there, thought I'd take a stab at this:

1. Created a spheroid with 24 sides and 11 segments.

2. I used edge connect/split/whatever you call it in Maya, to cut my middle triangle shapes.

3. I beveled in each of my triangle shapes by a small amount and then deleted the borders. You don't have to do this, you could just select your faces and copy/paste the faces to make them a separate object but I wanted to have a noticeable gap between pieces. You could stick a volumetric light in there or something for some cool effects.

4. I thickened the individual pieces and beveled in the outside faces to create a raised border. I I only modified 3 of the pieces and used radial arrays and mirrors to duplicate the geometry.

5. A quick render.

Hope that helps a little.

It helps alot! Thanks!

Your 24 sided sphere looks a lot better than my 12 sided one, not to mention your edge cuts look better.

Old 03 March 2011   #9
Thanks for all your help people.
Finally got it finished, and here's the result.

Of course this means I'm gonna start animating this bastard's movements tomorrow, and with the massive pile of pieces the main body is composed of, I'm not looking forward.

Old 03 March 2011   #10
That looks sweet, nice work. Good luck with the rigging, should be interesting.

Old 03 March 2011   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread