CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XIV - ALIENWARE Challenge (Archive)
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #1
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Julian Lloyd

Julian Lloyd has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:53 AM   #2
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

Wow, i been putting this off, but I been so busy...

Here is a simple sketch... just one of my ideas (this sketch is influenced by a book that i have)

anywho, made with Wacom & Painter 8.0... (I just got the tablet and painter 3 days ago, so gimmie a break if its kinda weak)

Moon City:
http://www.hellrender.com/buildings.jpg
- the path is a floating gas cloud
- the buildings are very tall, extravagent, and of the ancient greek / gothic style
- there will be 3 moons in the sky, hense the name "moon city"

Cheers,

Edit: Also, this concept is bound to change perspective, maybe more from a "person's view" or something, since that would probably be more appropriate, but it's just a sketch to get my ideas out

Last edited by jlmakes : 11-04-2003 at 04:55 AM.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
RKurczewski
Pixel shooveler

portfolio
Radoslaw Kurczewski
Lead Artist
Turbosquid
Lodz, Poland

Send a message via ICQ to RKurczewski Send a message via MSN to RKurczewski Send a message via Yahoo to RKurczewski
I like "tribal" feeling about this one. In composition- probably a bit too many similiar, vertical shapes. If You will "smooth" mountain line it should work much better.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:02 AM   #4
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

Update

_RK_
I completely changed my idea... but I do appreciate your comments, and they are being implemented into the new concept sketch, which isn't quite finished, but can be seen below.

Anywho, on to the update...

Last edited by jlmakes : 11-04-2003 at 05:05 AM.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:05 AM   #5
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

Concept Sketch: Otherland

Here is a more complex sketch... this one, probably a lot closer to the actual idea I'm going to use. This one made with Wacom & Painter 8.0 + Photoshop 7.0.1. Approx. 45min sketch (includding coloring in photoshop).

Otherland:

- the abyss off the cliff, will reveal tall spires I think...
- scale is shown by the figure in the bottom right...

Comments? Critiques? Ideas? remember, it's not finished, it's still a work in progress!
Cheers!

**Note: Here is a link to a larger (1000x676 pixels) version of the above sketch: Larger Version Here

Last edited by jlmakes : 11-04-2003 at 05:07 AM.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
RKurczewski
Pixel shooveler

portfolio
Radoslaw Kurczewski
Lead Artist
Turbosquid
Lodz, Poland

Send a message via ICQ to RKurczewski Send a message via MSN to RKurczewski Send a message via Yahoo to RKurczewski
Sure thing

- You will have problem if You want to display scale by showing figure- humanoids are prohibited I believe.

- really- really nice colour set. Very "hellish". Just an idea- maybe add one more sun..?

- if You want to add spires making image vertical may be a good idea...

- right now shadows seem to be rather flat (with that kind of lighting it can be unavoidable. Not necessairly bad thing but worth remembering.

Looking forward for more...

Old 11-04-2003, 08:12 AM   #7
jlmakes
Expert

portfolio
Julian Lloyd
Independent
Oakland, USA

Response:

_RK_
- the scale is only shown with that figure in the corner, for the viewers to get a sense of things, its not part of the actual image, because in a setting of vast proportions, its hard to tell how big stuff is, so I wanted to give the viewers and idea of how big this rock formation is.
- as far as more than one sun, I dunno... it might add too much to the scene, I'll see what i think after I add the rest of the scene.
- making the image verticle, i dunno, i like the panaroamic view, it's very expressive of how a new environment feels for the first time, specially a vast environment.
- shadows? what shadows? lol... this is a sketch i did on black paper, if it resembles shadows thats kind of a mistake. heh, the only shadow is on the "figure" which is only so he looks like he's on the ground, and not floating.

lol, _RK_ seems to be my only fan! heheh... anywho, C&C are always welcome... new updates on the sketch are coming soon! (tomorrow afternoon probably)
Cheers,
Gremlin

Old 11-04-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
RKurczewski
Pixel shooveler

portfolio
Radoslaw Kurczewski
Lead Artist
Turbosquid
Lodz, Poland

About figure- in final image You will also need some kind of scale indicator I think... or is there other solution ? Rest of ideas are... just ideas, nothing more .

Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread