who would you apply 2 textures to one object?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
who would you apply 2 textures to one object?

just for the sake of this question lets put aside that i have been using maya since v1.0

I have an object, a packaged product. The main body of the object has one texture. the side of the product had a different texture. because the side repeats and has a different shader, I cant just treat this with one shader and use the first texture with a UV layout. So what i would normally do is select those side polygons and right click on the new shader in the hypergraph and select APPLY TO SELECTION. Well im trying to do that now, and im getting an error "Error while parsing arguments". when i learned this technique i remember people posting that this works but was the SLOPPY way of doing this. So without breaking the object up, how else could this be done?

In Cinema 4d, you select and save polygon selections, than just assine that selectionSet to the shader. then you can go back and re adjust your polly sets and aslong as the name dont change, the shaders update appropriately. Is there a comparable work flow for maya?

Old 06 June 2011   #2
you make a proper uv map for your object and apply your textures accordingly. if you need different shaders as well I recommend you use the mib colormix shader and pipe your different shaders into that one and mask them out with a ramp or file texture.

EDIT:
sidenote: it's generally a very bad idea to assign shaders per face. especially if you use render layers, which I assume you will. there's a really nasty bug in the renderlayers that will sometime screw up you shader assignments.

Last edited by lostparanoia : 06 June 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #3
I don't understand if you have to have different shaders or do you want one shader with different textures on different parts of the object?

If you have to have different shaders you have to use shaders like Layered shader, mib colormix, etc.

If you want to use the same material with different textures on different parts of the object then yes, you can do that with as many textures as you like using any regular material.

If the different textures fall on different poly faces, you can turn off wrap U and V in the texture placement nodes to disable repeating beyond coverage and control the coverage with the Coverage and Translate Frame attributes. The color beyond coverage is controlled by the Default Color attribute in the texture node where you can plug another texture and in its Default Color attribute yet another texture, and so on, as many textures as you like. Simply make sure that the coverages of the different textures don't overlap which can be verified in the UV editor. Then cut the the UVs for the different parts into shells, and position the UV shells over the desired textures' coverage.

If the different textures share same faces of the object, for example decal on a background, then you have to use the Stencil utility with a masking texture. Plug the Stencil in the color (or output), plug the texture in the Image attribute of the Stencil and the masking texture in the Mask attribute. The Default Color of the masking texture node controls the blending for the color beyond the coverage of the texture used for the Image of the Stencil.

Old 06 June 2011   #4
Talking

delete, replied to wrong post

Old 06 June 2011   #5
here is a tutorial...
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/video_player.php?id=513

if you are using mudbox here is a script for...
http://www.pixelcg.com/blog/?p=88

Last edited by oglu : 06 June 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Old 06 June 2011   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread