CRT MONITOR woes : everything is darker

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2003
CRT MONITOR woes : everything is darker

So I was playing a healthy game of Halo PC the night before last when out of nowhere, the monitor suddenly got darker. not dark to the point of nothing being visible, but dark to the point where even if I crank my contrast and brightness some text is illegible and colours a darker hue with an additional tint of blue.

Did I just lose one of the guns in my monitor?

I use the monitor on both PC's at home and both share the same displayed darkness. I experimented with the monitor settings but had no luck getting colours back to normal or proper brightness restored.

I was looking forward to an LCD upgrade, just not this soon.

*sigh*

Monitor Info:
Optiquest 21" Q115
[approx 3 years old]

Anyone familiar with this problem?

10 October 2003
I am familiar. My 19" optiquest has the same issue.

10 October 2003
Sounds like one of your guns went out or is only working on half-capacity. I have an old 19" Viewsonic A90 and it's 5 years old now. It definetely is much darker than before and colour and contrast is not up to par.

Basically, since we're all professionals here and put tons of time on our monitors, they usually start to degrade, CRTs that is, by the third year or so.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a LCD as well, but I trying to wait longer, not get one now.

My Personal Webpage

10 October 2003
I really cannot wait to replace this monitor. It is basically unusable now, even for web browsing.

I will keep it around for a server monitor, but I really need to have a colour correct [or near colour correct LCD] monitor for 3D and 2D work.

I am torn on 2 different setups.

Do I get:

DELL 20 LCD
[which I use as my main monitor everyday at work and love it]

or

Dual 19 Viewsonic/NEC
[I use an 18" NEC at work as my secondary monitor and love it]

I am leaning towards the dual 19, since I am used to duals at work.
So when I normally work at 1600x1200, taking a hit to move down to 1280 wouldnt affect me much in my opinion, since I would have dual monitors at 1280...

What do you think?

10 October 2003
Hmmm, didn't know it deteriorated to such a degree.

Well well, based upon your suggestions, I would get the dual 19" Viewsonics (P95f+B perhaps?). I miss my old dual setup and it seems to me it'll give you the best display with tons of screen real estate.

Dualies baby!

It's funny as I'm writing this, that I'm cranking up my brightness (again) on my old CRT. Looks like I'm getting a new monitor soon....

My Personal Webpage

10 October 2003
Skip the duals and go with an Apple 23" HD. Absolutely THE best investment I've made, well maybe my dual Xeons, but visually the best investment, and by far the best monitor I've ever seen under $2,000.

Emmortal

10 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Emmortal1
Skip the duals and go with an Apple 23" HD. Absolutely THE best investment I've made, well maybe my dual Xeons, but visually the best investment, and by far the best monitor I've ever seen under $2,000.

Emmortal

I have played aroiund with a 23" at work, and while it does offer good real eastate...for my use, it does not justify the cost...

10 October 2003
the 23" although compatible with PC you cannot change the settings because unlike regular PC monitors the settings are not changed via buttons on the monitor but within the apple OS.

this is from 4 or 5 months ago. maybe someone has made software to change it since but if not you should not get this unless you think that the factrory defaults would suit you.

I intend to live forever. So far so good

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread