How do I get the jiggle?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2003
Talking How do I get the jiggle?

Hehe... more midterm fun!

My little "hamburer creation" animation is nearing completion... for the final scene, I'm going to have all pieces of my burger (lettuce, cheese, tomato, onion, pickle, the buns, etc) fall in order on top of eachother, onto a serving platter. Something like this:

[Platter] Bottom bun -> slice of cheese -> meat -> swiss cheese -> lettuce -> tomato -> onion -> pickle -> top bun [Platter Lid]

I haven't messed around much with dynamics, outside of simple gravity simulations my teacher has shown us (boxes toppling over, etc), so I need a bit of help

How do I get that "jiggle" effect food would have? I'm looking for just a little bounce after one object falls, such that they aren't so awfully stiff and clip into/through eachother. Every object is NURBS except for the buns, which are polys. If that's a problem, I can re-make them no sweat. All of this will happen over probably ten seconds or so, and my objects will all be stacked vertically prior to dropping.

Thanks!

10 October 2003
Well what I would do is make the letuce tomato and the chesse active riggid bodies and aplly soft bodies to them make the soft bodies quite stiff but not to stiff. Then make the Buns and the meat pasive rigid bodies then select all and make them colide. That should give you the effect that you are looking for, if you need extra movement add some animation to the geometry.

Oh yeah almost forgot DO NOT CHANGE THE NURBS LIVE AS THEY ARE. the soft bodies work better on nurbs then polies..

Good luck. Post if you get stuck.

10 October 2003
Trying to learn...

I tried to replicate your suggested steps here but got stuck on the active body to soft body conversion step.

No matter what I do with my rigid body (like bake simulation and break rigid connections) Maya never let me create a soft body from the former rigid body without having to duplicate it...

Warning: belongs to a rigid node. It cannot be converted into a soft body. Please select the original geometry shape and use the duplicate option. //

If I create a rigid body and bake the keys what am I supposed to do to transform it on a soft body, keeping the baked keys?

10 October 2003
no, soft bodys can't be active rigid already. But there's no need for it - the particles (that's how soft bodies work) can be affected directly by any force needed.

I would recommend animating all your geometery falling and stacking - don't worry about making it look awesome, just get the timing right mostly. Then take all the parts and create soft bodies with "duplicate, make copy soft" and "make non-soft a goal" as the settings. Adjust the goal weight on each - higher is stiffer, lower is flabbier. then tweak the original (non-soft) animation till the soft bodies look right.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread