Animation copy script won't work on multiple selection

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2010   #1
Animation copy script won't work on multiple selection

Hey folks, I'm new to MAXScript and have created a simple bit of code to copy an object's animation and apply it to a new bone, which it is then skinned to.

Here's the code:
Code:
gunPart = $ gunBone = bonesys.createbone [0,0,0] [10,0,0] [1,1,1] gunBone.height=3 gunBone.width=3 gunBone.name = gunPart.name + "Bone" gunBone.position.controller = copy gunPart.position.controller deleteKeys gunPart.position.controller gunSkin=(skin()) addModifier gunPart gunSkin skinOps.addBone gunPart.modifiers[#Skin] gunBone 1

To to make it work with multiple objects that have been selected I just added this to it:
Code:
for i = 1 to selection.count do ( select selection[i] gunPart = $ gunBone = bonesys.createbone [0,0,0] [10,0,0] [1,1,1] gunBone.height=3 gunBone.width=3 gunBone.name = gunPart.name + "Bone" gunBone.position.controller = copy gunPart.position.controller deleteKeys gunPart.position.controller gunSkin=(skin()) addModifier gunPart gunSkin skinOps.addBone gunPart.modifiers[#Skin] gunBone 1 )

And it just gives me this error:
Code:
-- Error occurred in i loop; filename: C:\Work\3dsmax\MAXScript\boneCreatorMulti.ms; position: 57; line: 3 -- Frame: -- i: 2 -- No ""select"" function for undefined

I don't know what I'm missing here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12 December 2010   #2
the first time you enter the i loop, you are changing the selection to the first object selected.

So when it's time to enter the loop again, i is 2, and it is trying to access selection[2], which does not exist anymore, because the selection count is only 1.

do this instead:

Code:
theSel = selection as array for i = 1 to theSel.count do ( select theSel[i] gunPart = $ gunBone = bonesys.createbone [0,0,0] [10,0,0] [1,1,1] gunBone.height=3 gunBone.width=3 gunBone.name = gunPart.name + "Bone" gunBone.position.controller = copy gunPart.position.controller deleteKeys gunPart.position.controller gunSkin=(skin()) addModifier gunPart gunSkin skinOps.addBone gunPart.modifiers[#Skin] gunBone 1 )

Old 12 December 2010   #3
Awesome!

I can't believe I didn't see that, so simple.

Thanks man!

Old 12 December 2010   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread