Thinking Particles Help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Thinking Particles Help

Hi, the effect I am going for is to use the Rayfire plugin to shatter 3D text and then use Thinking Particles to then "Blurp" the resulting debris into another 3D text. The problem I am running into is that there are several separate debris meshes that are generated and I can't seem to find how to make them work with the Blurp operator. I tried throwing all the debris into a group and see if that would work, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks,
~Alex

11 November 2010
I don't no if I understand this right, actually it's pretty simple! Just add in all pieces that are created by rayfire with Object2Particle.

11 November 2010
Ok, understood your problem.
Well lets say there are two shapes...Shape A and Shape B. Shape A will convert to Shape B.

Now you need to understand how blurp works. Blurp can only has meshes as inputs. They are added into the Blurp Node directly.
The work around in your case is, Fracture the Shape A. Then select anyone of the frags of Shape A and Attach all the other frags of Shape A into it with the edit polys multiple attach option. This way you get a single PreFragged Geometry Shape A. Add it to the Blurp. Add the Shape B also. If Shape B needs to be prefragged, repeat the same steps as Shape A for it.
In Blurp Node, go down to the Fragmentation Rollout. Select the Smooth and Smoothing Angle Radial Button. Change Angle to 180 and Radius to 100%. Play with the Animation Phase parameter of Blurp to achieve your desired Transition Effect...

Hope finally you got your answer...

Cheers!!!

12 December 2010
Originally Posted by XRM: Ok, understood your problem.
Well lets say there are two shapes...Shape A and Shape B. Shape A will convert to Shape B.

Now you need to understand how blurp works. Blurp can only has meshes as inputs. They are added into the Blurp Node directly.
The work around in your case is, Fracture the Shape A. Then select anyone of the frags of Shape A and Attach all the other frags of Shape A into it with the edit polys multiple attach option. This way you get a single PreFragged Geometry Shape A. Add it to the Blurp. Add the Shape B also. If Shape B needs to be prefragged, repeat the same steps as Shape A for it.
In Blurp Node, go down to the Fragmentation Rollout. Select the Smooth and Smoothing Angle Radial Button. Change Angle to 180 and Radius to 100%. Play with the Animation Phase parameter of Blurp to achieve your desired Transition Effect...

Hope finally you got your answer...

Cheers!!!

I know the basics of how the blurp operator itself works, and that it needs to reference two different meshes (or if you want to blurp from A to B, and then B to C, you can add additional meshes). I have prefragged the mesh of the first object with Rayfire. The only problem with the method you suggested is that Rayfire creates an animation of the object breaking by generating keyframes for every individual fragment. Using the "Attach" via Edit Poly does indeed make the necessary mesh for the blurp effect to work on all the frags, but by doing so, you lose each frag's unique animation (suddenly all of them animate to the parent piece you are attaching to).

The effect I was going for was to have the initial text shatter with Rayfire, and then the fragments would "blurp" into the second text. I ended up just creating a duplicate of all of the fragments at the frame I wanted the Blurp to start and attaching all of these duplicates together via the Edit Poly "attach" option. I then just keyframed the visibility of the two so that at the right time, the Rayfire animated fragments would switch out with the static mesh that the Blurp effect would use. This wasn't too bad, but you could see a short stop in the animation when this switch happened (due to the previously moving fragments suddenly stopping). I attempted to cover this up a little bit with some blurring but you can still see it.

Is there any way to attach multiple individually animated objects together as one mesh while preserving their animation (not by grouping because this does not work with Blurp)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBU4IttXDw
Here is the result of the method I used.

Thanks,
~Alex

12 December 2010
Well you never said you've animation on the frags from Rayfire.

Quote: Is there any way to attach multiple individually animated objects together as one mesh while preserving their animation (not by grouping because this does not work with Blurp)?

No man, there is no simple procedural way to do this...

Last edited by XRM : 12 December 2010 at 10:25 AM.

12 December 2010
Hello,

you might want to try to go to our public forum on our webpage at:
http://www.cebasstation.com/index.php?pid=forum1

The guys over there are really helpful!

In your case I would try to use a search and align method.

-ed

12 December 2010
Originally Posted by AJR3: Is there any way to attach multiple individually animated objects together as one mesh while preserving their animation (not by grouping because this does not work with Blurp)

You can use power Boolean "attach" mode.

12 December 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread