Mari 1.1 For Windows and Linux Now Available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Mari 1.1 For Windows and Linux Now Available

Hello,

After much typing and testing Mari 1.1 is now available for 64bit Windows and Linux.

Among the new features included are:

Windows 7 64-bit support
Deferred shading mode makes Mari up to 20x faster than 1.0 in some situations
Animated FBX Camera import for projections
Perspective view
Canvas Toolbar
TGA support
Normal Shader
Smart Selection tool
Better support for GeForce Cards.

...and lots of speed enhancements and bug fixes.

The full release notes are available here

Thank you very much for all of the great feedback from our Beta testers!

If you'd like to try out Mari please head over to our website and download an evaluation copy.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/

I'll try and answer any questions you guys may have.

Happy painting.

Jack

Last edited by forelle : 11 November 2010 at 10:47 PM.

11 November 2010
i am trying it out again after 3 hang ups and force restarts. i was finally able to load the goggles model and i tried to rotate around the object using the maya way. sorry, but i am so used to the maya way of moving that i tried the alt mouse routine. doing that put a blotch of white on the goggles. now its frozen again, LOL

11 November 2010
you seems just the minimum req. arent gonna cut it

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: i am trying it out again after 3 hang ups and force restarts. i was finally able to load the goggles model and i tried to rotate around the object using the maya way. sorry, but i am so used to the maya way of moving that i tried the alt mouse routine. doing that put a blotch of white on the goggles. now its frozen again, LOL

Hi

Sorry you're having problems. Any chance you could you send us an email at support@thefoundry.co.uk with some more info like your system specs and gpu driver version? Thanks.

Jack

11 November 2010
Good lord, this is slow. I guess when they say minimum requirements they literally mean the bare minimum to open the app, as loading even a medium resolution mesh brings it to a crawl on my system.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: Good lord, this is slow. I guess when they say minimum requirements they literally mean the bare minimum to open the app, as loading even a medium resolution mesh brings it to a crawl on my system.

Hello,

Could you let me know what GPU you have?

Mari really does need the minimum requirements. If those are met, it will scale upwards almost infinitely in terms of texture data, unfortunately to get that scalability, we needed to make some design decisions regarding GPU memory etc.

The minimum requirements are at least 1Gb of GPU ram and OpenGL 3.0 support.

Thanks

Jack

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by forelle: Hello,

Could you let me know what GPU you have?

Mari really does need the minimum requirements. If those are met, it will scale upwards almost infinitely in terms of texture data, unfortunately to get that scalability, we needed to make some design decisions regarding GPU memory etc.

The minimum requirements are at least 1Gb of GPU ram and OpenGL 3.0 support.

Thanks

Jack

nVidia Geforce GTX 285 here, so I guess that I only just meet the min spec. That said, I only barely got it to load a mesh and painted 1 stroke before it froze (guess it was projecting) for what seemed at least 5minute and then closed.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: nVidia Geforce GTX 285 here, so I guess that I only just meet the min spec. That said, I only barely got it to load a mesh and painted 1 stroke before it froze (guess it was projecting) for what seemed at least 5minute and then closed.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The GTX 285 seems to be similar specs to my Quadro 3800M. Can you let me know which driver version you're using? I can edit and paint on at least 4M polys and 400+ 4k textures on my machine. Any chance you could share the model with my so I could try it out on my machine?

J

11 November 2010
Quote: Hi

Sorry you're having problems. Any chance you could you send us an email at support@thefoundry.co.uk with some more info like your system specs and gpu driver version? Thanks.

Jack

to be honest i didn't even look for the minimum specs to run the software. i'm running a quadcore 2.2ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a gtx 260. I guess i will have to move up to a better card like a gtx 460 or 480. in my last email i said the googles froze because i tried to click on the other icons in the ui and nothing happened. well, i let the software sit for a while and then tried again, i started moving the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen and then a brush pointer (similar to what is in photoshop) appeared. I was now able to click on the icons in the ui and paint on the googles but i still dont understand why i had a mouse pointer and a brush pointer on screen at the same time. I just got my wacom 4 so i don't know if i have to change the settings to correct this problem.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: to be honest i didn't even look for the minimum specs to run the software. i'm running a quadcore 2.2ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a gtx 260. I guess i will have to move up to a better card like a gtx 460 or 480. in my last email i said the googles froze because i tried to click on the other icons in the ui and nothing happened. well, i let the software sit for a while and then tried again, i started moving the mouse pointer to the far right of the screen and then a brush pointer (similar to what is in photoshop) appeared. I was now able to click on the icons in the ui and paint on the googles but i still dont understand why i had a mouse pointer and a brush pointer on screen at the same time. I just got my wacom 4 so i don't know if i have to change the settings to correct this problem.

We've had some teething troubles with the Wacom on Windows and are keeping a close eye on it. If you manage to recreate the problem could you let us know and we'll get it fixed. We'll keep looking at it from our end.

The best possible thing would be to screen capture a video of it happening, but I understand that this may not be possible.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Please let me know how you get on otherwise.

J

11 November 2010
Silly me, of course mari needs nvidia card. : /
Well, gotta get one at some point anyway.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by ViCoX: Silly me, of course mari needs nvidia card. : /
Well, gotta get one at some point anyway.

Hi,

I've been having a look around and the GTX 450, seems very reasonable and should run Mari wonderfully (caveat, we've only done a full QA cycle on 460's and 480's)

J

Last edited by forelle : 11 November 2010 at 02:32 PM.

11 November 2010
Am I the only one happy with its performance? Nvidia 280 GTX, i7 8 core, windows 7 64bit. Played 15 minutes yesterday and worked fantastic. However, I loaded only about few k polys mesh. Not sure what was the texture size but it was very sharp, I am assuming 4096x4096.

11 November 2010
I think Mari performs beautifully. I've used it on both a GTX 285 and fermi Quadro 4000 with excellent results.

I've never tried Mari on Windows though, but I would expect it to be similar except for possibly some differences between the Nvidia drivers on different platforms.

11 November 2010
I've been hugely looking forward to this coming to Windows.
So I just downloaded the trial and installed it. Not knowing what to do I just loaded an object I was recently painting with Mudbox 2011. It has about 75,000 polygons.
So I was able to tumble around easily enough, but it froze for a few seconds after *every* brush stroke.

It looks great and I am planning on learning as much as I can about it and trying it out fully in the time I have.
But to be honest, Mudbox walks all over this particular object - no lag, no delay, and works flawlessly, but if Mari can't compete with that it won't be worth it.
Naturally I expect there to be issues with a first release, and I really hope I'm just doing something wrong.

Windows 7 x64
GTX 285
8 GB RAM
Intel Q9550 quad core (2.83 ghz)

Thread Closed share thread