Gnomon School experience?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2010   #1
Gnomon School experience?

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you have ever attended the Gnomon school in Cali and what was your experience there? I'm considering going there after I graduate (college with a fine art degree) but I'm all the way in Massachusetts and I need some feedback about it before I start planning a move. I REALLY wanted to stay in Mass but it seems like Gnomon is the place to be if I want to get into the industry. I find myself comparing every other school to Gnomon, so I'd really love to go there but I need to know if its worth the time and money(especially because it is wicked expensive!) Please let me know

Thanks

Old 10 October 2010   #2
I don't think anyone here can debate that Gnomon is one of the best schools around. They are definitely one of the best if not the best for modeling. All of the students I have spoken with have had nothing but good things to say.

Now that being said, the school can only give you the tools. If you go in and give it everything you have, you will not regret it. If you expect to go to class and come out amazing, you will learn a very expensive lesson. You should eat, drink, breath CG while you are there.

What specialization are you interested in following?

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #3
Thats exactly what I want to do...I do it anyway on my own I don't believe theres enough time in the day for me to learn all that I have to learn. I want to learn how to do EVERYTHING but mostly the 3d modeling. Right now I am about to receive my bachelor degree in fine arts (there were no good 3d schools around my area) and I am so antsy to do some 3d work in the classroom that I almost transfered out to take whatever I could find (which would have been stupid because I am about to graduate). I definitely want to make 3d models for movies and/or games. It's more about the fact that it is insanely expensive because I would be moving there from Mass and living on my own for the first time in my life (freaky), I'm willing to do it for the school but I need to make sure that it is worth it before hand.

Old 10 October 2010   #4
Yeah if you want to do modeling and you can afford it, Gnomon is the school to go to.

I'd say contact an advisor and talk about what you expect out of the school and make sure they agree it's the right thing to do. Don't worry about moving almost all of your classmates will be from all over and all be wondering how the hell they are going to pay the rent lol.

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #5
I'm in the same boat! And I'm in Boston too! HEYYYYY.

But yeah I'm shooting for next Fall to go. Just graduated with a BA in graphic design, working a bit now to save up some money...I'm just really concerned about being able to pay rent, honestly. Also which program is best to go with... which one are you looking at, the 2 or 3 year one? I personally love working 2d because that's what I've done up until now, so I figured doing the 3 year program would be best so then I can get the first year to really fine tune stuff. Also, random question if anyone knows - do you need to have a lot of 3d experience to do the 3 year program? I've only taken one beginner course in Maya and that's it. But my drawing skills are down. I'm just unsure what they base it on, and what I should/should not put in the portfolio.

Old 10 October 2010   #6
lol true story I guess we can all be broke together lol : ) Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Old 10 October 2010   #7
I'm still waiting on the 3 year program to be approved for federal funding. Then I need to find some way to pay for it lol.

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #8
lol time for some money makin ideas

Old 10 October 2010   #9
im already gonna be swamped with loans after I graduate in a few months ... in addition to possibly paying to go to Gnomon.... so its going to be interesting to see how I plan to get myself through this one lol

Old 10 October 2010   #10
Thats sooo awesome I'm not the only one trying to get in from boston! Im not sure which program i want to take yet because I'm a lil iffy about living there on my own for the first time for so long..i wanted to take the three year program but im not sure about the move ...im thinking of taking the 1 year then possibly being there a second year if i like it because they have that option. I am gonna graduate with a degree in studio art in a couple months so i may not need the extra year but i can def use the practice on 2d. I dont think u need extensive knowledge about 3d cuz thats what yourgoing for but im sure it helps to know a bit...i work a lot in blender but im much better at the 2d stuff...im pretty sure thats mostly what theyre lookin for....as for rent ..yeah im scared to find out how much that would be lol ill probably try to find a group of ppl to live with to make it cheaper....how do u feel about leaving boston to go to the exact opposite side of the country lol!?

Old 10 October 2010   #11
Personally I think the 3 year is a better idea. You can be a kick ass 3d artist and be crap at 2d, that being said 2d help a lot. Taking that would really lock in those 2d skills.

Gnomon recommends you learn the basics of Maya before coming, but they start from the beginning. So if you go in knowing squat about Maya you should be able to keep up. But, the better you are going in, the better you are coming out. I'd recommend getting to an intermediate level with Maya before going to any school. Check out Digital Tutors is you are interested in learning more. Best place to start learning this stuff.

As far as a portfolio, they said they want to see creativity. For the 3 year you need to show an understanding of the basics of art and potential. For the 2 year you need to show a strong understanding of art. Most people that go into the 2 year have a degree in some kind of art already. Either one you need to show drawings, and they like those to show your interests. CG images are encouraged but not required by any means.

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #12
I was thinking about it and I have to agree the best idea would probably be to take the three year option (the more practice the better) and that's probably what I'll end up choosing...next step is getting in hopefully, I'd also have to save up quite a bit but I really feel like it would be worth every minute of it

Old 10 October 2010   #13
Maybe I'll see you there

good luck

Post of Wisdom

Old 10 October 2010   #14
That would be pretty awesome...thanks for the convo and all your help Good luck to you too!!!

Old 10 October 2010   #15
Alright so I've another question and I figure it's best to just keep it in this thread - does anyone know how realistic it is to attend Gnomon but at the same time hold a part time job? I'm thinking rooming with others and a part time is the only way I'm going to be able to afford living out there. I expect it will be really difficult, but I'd like to know if it's deliriously difficult or just...possible at all.

Thread Closed share thread