The Elusive "Perfect Pillow" / Cushion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2010
The Elusive "Perfect Pillow" / Cushion

Hi, I'm trying to develop a way to create realistic cushions and pillows for some vis work.

I've been using a mix of Cloth simulation for the initial shape and then displacement over this for finer folds in the fabric. I believe it looks good so far but could still be better.

Does anybody out there care to share their process or ideas for great pillows/ cushions and fabric in general?

I've attached three images of my pillows so far.

Edit: Also I should make it clear I'm using 3ds Max 2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cushion 01b.jpg (78.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg cushion 02b.jpg (69.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg cushion 04b.jpg (82.1 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by CGough : 10 October 2010 at 05:05 PM.

10 October 2010
Wow, one of the best looking pillows I've seen. How are you using Cloth to get that result?

10 October 2010
Thanks.

I use garment maker and cloth sim to pull the gemoetry into shape, then a displace modifier with a fabric bump image faded out with a gradient ramp (so the bumps become less pronounced towards the centre of the pillow). the base mesh is still high but I want to use Z brush to create a good normal map version of this so the poly count can be even lower.

Cloth sim isn't doing all the work, merely creating the base shape of the pillow.

10 October 2010
Overall it does look good, 1 part I would go in depth a bit further would be the corners. To me the transitioning corner creases are a bit to straight. They look all the same, the wrinkles do help break it up a bit, but if you were to add that extra weight/detail to the corners I think it would look even better.

05 May 2011
Hi, you made a good job

i' am tring to use the garmet maker modifier with cloth but i got not so good result, can you explane us how do you use it?

05 May 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread