any peeps in LA?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2003   #1
any peeps in LA?

I have seen all these threads for local cg artists uniting so I thought I would see if their any of us in CGTalk whats up Los angeleenos any one from the fresh coast

Old 10 October 2003   #2
I'm in Santa Monica, and would love to get together with a group sometime. I am sure there is somewhere else to find it, but is there a local AWGUA chapter that has meetings? I used to go to the ones in Boulder/Denver area and it was a great way to get out and network. Well, talk to you later, hopefully some others chime in...

ps2geek

Old 10 October 2003   #3
Nice!!
I am in venice were neighbors. Hope some more people post interest I was thinking maybe meeting up once every other month would be cool in hollyweird at the galaxy gallery

Last edited by adeptus minor : 10 October 2003 at 09:32 PM.

Old 10 October 2003   #4
!!!

Im done with school and actually will be moving to the Santa Monica area the end of this year. Im currently residing in miami finishing up some things. Quick question about Santa Monica. I know housing is expensive, but me and 2 buddies were thinking of getting a house and paying the monthly rent, and then after 2 years get the equity and sell it. Maybe apartment is the way to go. I dont know as of yet? but a cgtalk/user group would be cool is someone put it together..

SEL

Old 10 October 2003   #5
Yeh I hope to get a cgtalk user group maybe more people express some interest got be some more people in LA on cgtalk

Sel
forget about buying a apartment in santa monica unless you got big bucks but if you do could make a nice little bundle. My friend does this bought a place in pasadena and echo park doesnt have to get a job anymore.

Old 10 October 2003   #6
i would think so being that LA is the capital of CG

Old 10 October 2003   #7
elfufu
was just checking out gnomon the other day to enroll that is one nice place like a paradise bigscreen television and a video colection, videogame its sick I love it. So what do you think of gnomon so far are you doing extension courses or the whole program so I was thinking if everyone interested we would meet on Oct 23

Old 10 October 2003   #8
i love it. man i feel like the gnomon cheerleader on cg talk ( so when you read this alex a., hook it up with a dvd )

no but seriously its great school the place as youve seen is beautifull and the teachers are just the best part about it. this term just started and i am overwhelmed with what we have learned in just 1 week. I feel bad for kids complaining about their college and how they dont learn because for us its just the opposite we complain because theres too much to learn.

so anyways enough with my pom-poms, i highly recommend it

Last edited by elfufu : 10 October 2003 at 10:01 PM.

Old 10 October 2003   #9
I just posted a thread with a proposal for a get-together. Come on people! Let's do it!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92380

Cheers
SDIT

The Journey Begins

Last edited by SDIT : 10 October 2003 at 02:22 AM.

Old 10 October 2003   #10
gnomon cheerleader he? heheheh

attn theres other gnomonites in the forum

Old 10 October 2003   #11
oh my bad the real cheerleader just showed up literally, or should i say the gnomon poster child.??

whats up dude nice to see other gnomen online. hows polar express treating you?? .

Last edited by elfufu : 10 October 2003 at 05:30 AM.

Old 10 October 2003   #12
Quote: Im done with school and actually will be moving to the Santa Monica area the end of this year. Im currently residing in miami finishing up some things. Quick question about Santa Monica. I know housing is expensive, but me and 2 buddies were thinking of getting a house and paying the monthly rent, and then after 2 years get the equity and sell it. Maybe apartment is the way to go. I dont know as of yet? but a cgtalk/user group would be cool is someone put it together..

Look, Santa Monica is nice, but the instant you cross the WestLA / Santa Monica border the rent increases 200-300$. If you are talking about a house, you are looking at an insane amount. I've seen houses that aren't that great around the OceanPark Blvd area for 650k and apartments for 1300/mo that are too small for 3people.

I decided to just drive a bit and live in the middle of LA off of Wilshire. While it is congested and parking is a pain in the ass, the rent drop is significant. I'm paying 650 with no utilities for a studio, but studios I tried to pick up in Santa Monica that were smaller + utilities started around 800.

Good luck, but check out the surrounding cities and drive 20min to save your $. There are some nice apartments that you can split with your friends outside of the beach cities (west of the 405).

-Zeio

Old 10 October 2003   #13
santa monica, man if youre from miami santa monica is the place to move to. HOWEVER!!! I am was from Miami up to 6 months ago. and decided to move to santa monica at first. DUDE the rent is insane. and depending on what youre gonna do or where you are going to work it might not be such a good move i am attending gnomon and the drive from santa monica to gnomon at 3 am is 15 minutes at 6pm its 1 1/2 hours the traffic in LA is serious serious serious shite you need to move close to what you will be doing daily. santa monica is nice but dont do the mistake i did and move to santa monica THINKING the drive is fine and that its worth it since you live in such a nice area. IT IS NOT and IT WILL GET OLD VERY FAST.

you will not find a house on the nice sides of santa monica for under 650k for a crack house. realty in CA. is 1 1/2 times miami i own 2 houses in MIAMI for investment purposes and i can tell you this from experience.

i decided to move to a more localized area to my daily activities. www.laloft.com

anyways. good luck and kiss miami for me. i miss that place.

Last edited by elfufu : 10 October 2003 at 07:56 AM.

Old 10 October 2003   #14
sooo... nobody interested in a get-together for a beer deal??

The Journey Begins

Old 10 October 2003   #15
Yea, I'm moving downtown now. I used to live in the valley, then moved to the west side. Now I want a warehouse or some kind of big loft space where I can do more traditional artwork that always screwes up the carpets at most places. The west side is just way too expensive for this kind of thing. Don't want to go back to the valley because it's too hot there. So better off going downtown.

I found this awsome loft near chinatown but it is way too big for me to get by myself(3000 sq ft.). Anyone else looking for a place like this?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/off/17189837.html
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ro....dir=/loft+pics

Thread Closed share thread