Modeling and Texturing Reel - Composition

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2010
Modeling and Texturing Reel - Composition

Hi everybody,

At school we are finally about to start making our demo reels. In the past I pictured myself doing an animation reel, but as time went by I found out that it just wasn't what was suited to myself and I've crossed the line into doing modeling and texturing. I originally wanted to include rigging but I'm not ready to put rigging in a reel as there is still too much that I don't know. Hopefully now no one will be confused as to why I've stopped doing an animation reel

The point of this reel is to pass my course. And not just pass, but with flying colors.

My primary weakness is my inability to draw well. I know the fundamentals, but with school work and RL piling up, I just haven't had the time to practice all year. So my reel needs to work around that.

My idea is simple: A dog, possibly old, possibly a bit.. bonkers... Sitting in a old couple's lounge. My tutor said the dog I modeled and textured was "okay", but not "awesome", and for my reel I need something "awesome".

Below is my first attempt at compositing the shot as well as a screenshot of my original dog, who will probably be replaced if I can ever manage to draw a better one.

What I want from this thread, at this point in time, is, primarily, advice and critique on the composition. I hope to go through a series of images each eliminating the primary flaws in the composition until I (or we!) can reach a final result that will be adequate for a reel, then begin to introduce things such as light, until, around the start of December, the final reel will be produced.

That being said, I don't expect to have my hand held the entire way, I just want to share my progress and get feedback on it as I go.

I don't want to show the entire shot in one go, I want to have a few separate shots. But this one I'm working on will be my final shot - the one that sells the image.

Sorry for the long ramble, here are the pictures.

08 August 2010
I have redesigned the dog.

Also I have decided I want to evoke some emotion from the audience. I will have the house oldish, becoming run down, maybe a few cobwebs, pale wallpaper. And the dog will be unfed (ribs beginning to show), and look sad/lonely, staring up at the camera (which will probably be a slightttt high angle), with drool on it's mouth. As shown in the picture above.

Thanks everyone in advance for any help given

Last edited by JaredTaylor : 08 August 2010 at 11:20 AM.

09 September 2010
Your model looks interesting. Keep it up!
\

Last edited by DoctorMonkeyFist : 09 September 2010 at 08:34 PM.

09 September 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread