Particles won't activate

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2010
Particles won't activate

Hey,

I'm creating some particles in maxscript to do some selections, but the particles don't show up. If I create a new standard flow manually in particle view after I run the script, and delete it right away, the particles created with the script show up. Is it some variables I don't have initialized or something similar?
Here is the script
http://folk.ntnu.no/havardsc/script...rticleTrails.ms
Pick the plane as a surface and the sphere as a trailer object and hit go.

As a side question, if I get my particles to show up, some still spawn randomly over the plane surface and the others spawn correctly, the effect I want to achieve is in this file http://folk.ntnu.no/havardsc/script...thdisplace2.max
A pointer to what I do wrong would be great!

08 August 2010
It works for me as far as I can see the particle ticks in the viewport. You can try just cycle the emission state with <PF_Source>.Enable_Particles

In the Position Object operator you need to enable If Location Is Invalid->Delete Particles

Quote: Position_Object : Helper
<Position_Object>.delete Integer default:0
When set to true, if the software cannot place a particle according to the current option, it deletes the particle. When set to false, particle placement is undefined; that is, it depends on other variables.

Hope that helps

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 08 August 2010 at 03:28 AM.

08 August 2010
The .delete parameter worked like a charm, thanks John!

I tried toggling the .enable_particles parameter but with no success. It should be true by default too.
Tried the script in max 2008 and 2010 and the particles still won't show up before I create a new system and delete it. I.e if I create a new event in the script like this:

particleFlow.BeginEdit()
local lolEvent = event()
particleFlow.EndEdit()

If run the script and delete this event manually, the particles show up. If I try to delete the event using the script, the particles don't show up.
I must be missing something.

08 August 2010
There is a known bug somewhere deep in PFlow which prevents a newly script-created system from generating particles unless the scene is saved and then reloaded again.

The hack I have been using since Max 6 is to call holdMaxFile() followed by (fetchMaxFile quiet:true) to enforce an update. It is true that it can take a bit of time depending on the content, but it tends to solve the issue with newly created flows using MAXScript.

08 August 2010
Borislav, much obliged!

08 August 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread