Smoke using Maya 2011 fluids (Need Help)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2010   #1
Smoke using Maya 2011 fluids (Need Help)

Hello everyone. This is my first post here on CG Talk, but this is a wonderful community and I feel I can ask for help here. I'm trying to create smoke that would come from a cigarette.
here is some examples
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-ph...685-smoke-3.php
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-vi...oke-pack-hd.php
http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-vi...slow-motion.php

Anyone know how to achieve this using Fluids in Maya 2011? I could really use the help.

Thank you.

Old 08 August 2010   #2
Well let me start this off by asking how familier are you with Fluids? Have you done any tests yet that we might can look at? If you are new to fluids, you will find out that there are a ton of settings, and usually you get to a close point by knowing the foundation.
Have you looked at any of the fluid presets in the visor. When first starting out, you can use those for reference and dissect them a bit.

Old 08 August 2010   #3
Hello Cowboy71, I'm pretty familiar with Fluids for the most part. I know the terms pretty well, I just haven't really used fluids for anything except for a few things. I do have a picture of what I have so far.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: png smoke for CG talk.png (28.7 KB, 90 views)

Old 08 August 2010   #4
Quickly put this together for you to look at..
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example_Smoke.zip (8.7 KB, 64 views)

Old 08 August 2010   #5
hey justin by using 2d fluids u can achive a nice kind of smoke wat u looking for . if u want to use 3d fluid den turn on the forward advacation ........ hope dat ill post my scence soon .....

Old 08 August 2010   #6
have a look

Old 08 August 2010   #7
here is the set up . i dont knw is dis perfect for you or nt , bt by dis ull get an idea .. . thanks .....
Attached Files
File Type: zip smoke_test.zip (9.4 KB, 54 views)

Old 08 August 2010   #8
Hey guys.

Thank you very much, these are great examples, and it really helped me understand how the process works. I'll post a picture of what I have later tonight to show you guys if I'm heading in the right direction with this. Once again thank you very much.

Old 08 August 2010   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread