Hair & Shadow masking (Hair_tk & Shave)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2010   #1
Hair & Shadow masking (Hair_tk & Shave)

Hello, I am working on an independent project which involves a pretty complex character. I've been working with using Puppet's hair_tk shader and Shave & A Haircut just through browsing the forums and reading Puppet's guide.

I need to figure out how to composite the plain character render (SSS, GI, & FG) that includes no hair with a render of just the hair (hair_tk, & p_SpotTK, spot light) and shadowing. I know this can be done somehow with p_MegaTK_passes, but it is beginning to feel a little bit to complicated, and would just like to keep it to two renders if possible. Is there a way to do this with the Use Background or a Surface Shader? I'm still a student and all this stuff is quite unfamiliar to me.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

- Kyle

Old 08 August 2010   #2
I usually turn off primary visibility and gi etc for the hair in the characters pass, that way you get the shadows from the hair falling on the character, then render a pass of the hair, with a blackhole shader on everything else so the hair is cutout correctly

Old 08 August 2010   #3
Where do I find the check boxes for primary visibility & disable GI? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the Attribute Editor when I have the hair selected...

Thanks for the reply
- Kyle

Old 08 August 2010   #4
On the transform node, under mentalray flags, turn off "Derive From Maya", set visible and globillum off.

Old 09 September 2010   #5
Maya forcing Rasterizer, when Raytrace wanted.

Originally Posted by mercuito: I usually turn off primary visibility and gi etc for the hair in the characters pass, that way you get the shadows from the hair falling on the character, then render a pass of the hair, with a blackhole shader on everything else so the hair is cutout correctly

I use same the same workflow.
I use maya 2011, SSS, shave 5.5 Hair Primitives, p_HairTK.

I have a problem command line rendering though.

when i have set my rendersettings in maya to raytrace, I can render fine from within maya the GI SSS and hairshadows are all fine, however when i save the scene and reload it the Renderlayer with the hair casting shadows now has the Primary Renderer (in Render settings - Features) Set to Rasterizer (rapid Motion).

Even though i make a layer override and set it back to Raytrace it jumps back to Rasterizer when i reload scene.

This means that when i cmd line render (windows7) it uses Rasterizer on the head which gives some unwantet white noise in the SSS shader.

Is there a way to force Mental Ray to use Raytracer in cmd line i tried Render -h but didnt see any command for it?

Kasper

Is there a way

Old 09 September 2010   #6
Originally Posted by Ztix: I use same the same workflow.
I use maya 2011, SSS, shave 5.5 Hair Primitives, p_HairTK.

I have a problem command line rendering though.

when i have set my rendersettings in maya to raytrace, I can render fine from within maya the GI SSS and hairshadows are all fine, however when i save the scene and reload it the Renderlayer with the hair casting shadows now has the Primary Renderer (in Render settings - Features) Set to Rasterizer (rapid Motion).

Even though i make a layer override and set it back to Raytrace it jumps back to Rasterizer when i reload scene.

This means that when i cmd line render (windows7) it uses Rasterizer on the head which gives some unwantet white noise in the SSS shader.

Is there a way to force Mental Ray to use Raytracer in cmd line i tried Render -h but didnt see any command for it?

Kasper

Is there a way

This is shave doing it. You can turn it off in the shave globals, its something like, use safe mr settings, or something like that.

Old 09 September 2010   #7
Solved

Thx mercuito that solved it

Old 09 September 2010   #8
thanks for the tips

Old 09 September 2010   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread