Environment: Tunnel Aquarium

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
Environment: Tunnel Aquarium

I'm making a tunnel aquarium for my reel.
Eventually I wan't it to look like an underwater tunnel surrounded by glass windows.
I'm open to suggestions on modeling, materials, texturing, lighting, underwater effects etc.

-IMAGES DELETED FOR SPEED-

Last edited by marc001 : 04 April 2004 at 08:56 PM.

09 September 2003
lookin nice... my only concern is the size of the screws and the size of the required screwdriver to turn them.... they might be better off as rivets perhaps..

Otherwise are you going for new and shiny or old and rusty and leaky? will the water outside be clean and pure or yuck and polluted.... with it be deep or shallow?

DaveMcD

09 September 2003
Hi marc001,
Everything looks great
Except, you should add more object details on the floor.
for texturing you could use matte steel (with abit noise/dirt), dont get to shiny with steel materials

Tips : follow the base main lights color / energy to create a material color.

I keep my eyes on this thread, keep on moving..

09 September 2003
I replaced the screws with hex bolts. The ones near the door were too large, 4" in diameter. They're now 3 1/2 ". The ones around the window are now 2 1/2" It would now take a torque wrench with a large socket to turn the bolts, instead of a large screwdriver.

As for the overall look, it should be slightly used not rusty or leaky. The water on the outside should be fairly clear, just a little cloudy, and shallow.

Last edited by marc001 : 04 April 2004 at 10:45 PM.

09 September 2003
Im lookin' at those hex bolts, and thinking they might look better if they stuck out just a bit farther. They look very thin at the moment. Great work so far. Keep it up!

09 September 2003
yeah i think those hex bolts are the way to go.. except i was thinking what would they look like if they were the hex bolts with the raised dome bit in the middle (i have no idea what they are called) the curve of them will pick up some nice spec highlights.

Also will the lighting be those foot level hall runner lights or will they be down lights etc from the arch sections? or both?

On the windows dont forget to add some less clean areas around the edges of the class where people are less likely to clean....

DaveMcD

04 April 2004
Things added:
1. Floor tiles
2. Aqua paint on the trim
3. Dirt on the doors

I need hints or tutorials on texturing metal, and paint with parts flaking off.
It's still clean in many places.

Last edited by marc001 : 04 April 2004 at 10:46 PM.

04 April 2004
it's looks very nice, but for me env is to empty, even when you insert fauna and flora outside the windows or walls it will be still empty... add some tourists or sciencist or other stuff inside a tunel...

04 April 2004
Added specular maps for that metal look, and reflection maps

Last edited by marc001 : 04 April 2004 at 04:44 PM.

04 April 2004
Hey bud, your pics don't show up, I check and it seems you're trying to get them hosted on geocities. But geocities don't support that kind of stuff. So here's a small advice, http://www.photobucket.com hosts pics for free. I have about 60 pics there and the only limit is that each picture is not to be bigger than 250k I belive. You do have to sign up but there is no catch there... at least I've been hosting there for several months and everything's fine.

And besides geocities has a max of how many people can visit your website.

Anyways, thought I'd give you this link... can't view your pictures because of geocities.

P.S. photobucket.com maybe down today, I don't know why, first time this happens.
Edit: Nvm, it's up.

Last edited by Boggy : 04 April 2004 at 01:27 AM.

04 April 2004
works for me, looks good, but your "line" in the door doesn't look real enough, go for a bump, and add grime (clorine build up ect, it always happens in underwater structures. pain in the ass )

Launching July 1st!

04 April 2004
Things changed:
-Chipped paint
-Added reflection map to floor tiles
-Reduced specular map in the door seam

I still need to chip the paint on the side window trims.

BiTMAP: I'm going to add some water damage later.

Boggy: I deleted some images, hope that helps. Eventually I'll be getting a real website, instead of geocities.

Perkar: This scene is for a short movie. The characters are on my website, and will eventually be in the scene.

Last edited by marc001 : 04 April 2004 at 10:48 PM.

04 April 2004
Some nice metal textures here ...might be something for ya

http://www.mayang.com/textures/Manm...etal/index.html

Bredro1

04 April 2004
don't use that colour green, use a more base colour, it'll look MUCh nicer with water filtered light hitting it.

Launching July 1st!

04 April 2004
I agree that the green colour doesn't fit for this kind of environment... Do you plan to make some change to the textures ? because... it seems too clean and synthetic. Maybe by adding some rust, scratches, dust... ?

Thread Closed share thread